• Register
  • Help

Topic: Romance for Violin

Share/Bookmark

Romance for Violin

Hi All

Long-time reader, first time poster. I just got the Strad, and after some trial and error, I have my first piece. It uses the Lyrical Strad and the GPO Harp I. I'm an amateur violin player myself so I know something about how a violin should sound, but I'd welcome any suggestions on how to improve the realism of this piece.

Mank thanks!
    Keith.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4838795

Re: Romance for Violin

Welcome to the forum, Keith!

A fine, thoughtful study, well done on the
    writing.

I'm the village idiot on sound treatment, but
    for what it's worth, perhaps a little more
    room (reverb) on this? Not much -- just
    a little.

I'm not a violinist (old 'cello player,though);
    but I might also suggest more attention to
    phrasing and articulation, a more legato
    approach in the playing style. I think the
    gentle, somewhat wistful tenor of these
    flowing lines would enjoy that.

Keep it coming, Keith!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mcmoose
    Hi All

Long-time reader, first time poster. I just got the Strad, and after some trial and error, I have my first piece. It uses the Lyrical Strad and the GPO Harp I. I'm an amateur violin player myself so I know something about how a violin should sound, but I'd welcome any suggestions on how to improve the realism of this piece.

Mank thanks!
    Keith.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4838795
    Keith,

first let me say congratulations on this piece. I liked it even before listening because of two reasons:

1. It is an original composition, not always the same old stuff, hehe.
    2. It features the violin as a singing instrument, avoiding all those staccatos and double stops with virtuosos (on real and virtual instruments) try to dazzle the audience. I have nothing against virtuosity, but singing on an instrument comes first for me.

As you asked for suggestions:
    - Us hardware fiddlers like the violin sound to be very present because we are used to hear the instrument from a distance of a few inches and also like to hear all the nuances. All other people need a high-frequency rolloff because they know the instrument to be played in some distance. With other words I think the tone is still too brilliant and I would put some EQ on it.
    - Now unleash your imagination. How would one play this piece if everything were possible? Sing, sing, sing.

Your piece actually inspired me to record an own version of the first phrase(actually I am testing a microphone so I have to record something anyhow ). Maybe you like it. Yes it is a real instrument and not a real one but this is not the point. I would try to do it similar on the Garritan Strad.

http://www.frischat.com/compose/Hann...in_wav_320.mp3

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Hi Keith
    Congratulations on an excellent first effort with the Stradi. !!!

It is a lovely piece, and very well realised.Very nice restrained use of portamento.
    I think a little more reverb wouldnt hurt this rendering, and could possibly reinforce the legato singing quality of the writing.

I feel a bit reluctant as a mere piano player to offer any advice to a violin player, but here goes anyway.

I think you could bring a greater sense of dynamics to the phrasing. Especially tapering away the final notes of phrases. Also a little closer attention could be paid to the onset of the vibrato, perhaps it could be delayed a little more on certain notes, swell a little more intensely on other notes, and change speed to match these intensity spikes.
    Please dont take this as a criticism, because I really liked your music, and I just think that any extra expression you can add to your rendering would help the piece communicate its intentions more effectively.

It is easy to imagine that playing an instrument would be of great help, in playing its virtual equivalent, but sometimes this extra knowledge actually gets in the way.

Although a pianist, I have never found any Sampled Piano that I can play well.
    I play them the same way I play the Hardware piano, but it never seems to come out the same.

I have to put a different "hat" on when playing Sampled Piano, of course this involves a degree of compromise, and the loss of some spontaneity, but in a recording it is the end result that counts.

I hope to hear some more of your music soon.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Your piece actually inspired me to record an own version of the first phrase(actually I am testing a microphone so I have to record something anyhow ). Maybe you like it. Yes it is a real instrument and not a real one but this is not the point. I would try to do it similar on the Garritan Strad.

http://www.frischat.com/compose/Hann...in_wav_320.mp3

Hannes
    Hannes, that is very generous of you to supply a real world version of Keiths music.
    Nobody loves the solo Stradi more than me.....but it is so nice to hear a Real Violin on these forums devoted to Sampling.

Educational too. Fascinating to hear the movement of the bow. Not just the up and down but Right to Left.
    You are quite the master of sul tasto.

Well done my friend. !!!

regards Joe

Keith:

A very nice beginning witht the Strad. The comments and critique you have received are just an example of how great this Garritan Community is at helping its members.

Enjoyed your music. Play on........Keith.

I just received the Strad, but haven't had time to get into it yet. Hope I can do as well as you have done.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I think I'll spend a bit more time tweaking things.

Especially thanks to Hannes...seriously, how good is it that I can post a sampled mp3 of a piece, and not a day later have a violinist in Germany record a snippet just for fun! Neat!

This is a very pretty melody. I do think that the sound on the violin could be a little more mellow, but it is a very nice piece of work.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum