• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Schubert's G Flat Impromptus - by GeorgeSands

Share/Bookmark

Schubert's G Flat Impromptus - by GeorgeSands

GeorgeSands has sent in her realization of F. Schubert's G Flat Impromptus Op. 90.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/sp-GflatImpromptus.mp3

This was done entirely in Finale 2007 using the full GPO.

Good work and thank you for sending this in. Sorry it took so long to post it. I am looking forward to hearing more of your work.

All the best for the new year,

Gary Garritan

Re: Schubert's G Flat Impromptus - by GeorgeSands

Hi Sam!

Glad to hear you finally got the setup working. It is a very superb arrangement! I enjoyed the orchestration very much. The organ pedal works wonderfully as a substitution for the left hand! (I think it is my favorite part )

Cheers,

Reegs

Good to see you making such great progress with
    GPO, Samantha!

Some fine work in this adaptation; keep it coming!
    Some of the organ-like voicings and colorations in
    this are quite interesting.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Good to see you making such great progress with
    GPO, Samantha!

Some fine work in this adaptation; keep it coming!
    Some of the organ-like voicings and colorations in
    this are quite interesting.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I have loved this piece since the very first time I heard a scratchy recording in the basment listening room of the Los Angeles Library in 1976. It was an old phono record of Horowitz "Favorite Encore Pieces". It took me ten years to masther this piece and it was burned into my spirit. It is second only to the Rachmaninov second piano concerto in by book.

Thank all of you for your encouraement. It is extremely rare that I share any of my musical talents with anyone. In fact, now days my mother is the only one to hear me play piano, and not that much since buying Finale and GPO.

The only training in orchestration that I've gain is from this site. I've had no formal trainning and approach it with fear and trembling some times because I'm not sure if a particular instrument can actually play what I write.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 01-05-2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: grammar

This is nicely realized. You've really got me thinking about getting Finale. I'm quite impressed. It sounds like you put a lot of work into this. Very nice!

Clark

Hi,

I was impressed how you handled the strings sound in general, especially the first violins. Lots of dynamics which is very good and makes them real.

Now it would be an interesting idea for the next project to make the pieces a little less 'pianistic'. What I mean is - to translate 'Piano think' into 'Orchestra think'. What comes to mind especially are those broken chords that the left hand plays - a typical piano technique. The idea on the piano is to hit a bass tone on one and then fill the tenor-to-alto range with a broken accord or a line that gives harmony but also some rhythm plus maybe some counterpoint or second voice. So this is a mixture between chords and lines. And if they are played relatively prominent it says 'Piano think'.

With an orchestra we could replace this basic idea by other means - sustained chords, crescendos, ostinatos, changing instrument groups, you name it. There could be harmonic and rhythmic elements still but in different combinations.

That is at least what I would try.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Hi,

I was impressed how you handled the strings sound in general, especially the first violins. Lots of dynamics which is very good and makes them real.

Now it would be an interesting idea for the next project to make the pieces a little less 'pianistic'. What I mean is - to translate 'Piano think' into 'Orchestra think'. What comes to mind especially are those broken chords that the left hand plays - a typical piano technique. The idea on the piano is to hit a bass tone on one and then fill the tenor-to-alto range with a broken accord or a line that gives harmony but also some rhythm plus maybe some counterpoint or second voice. So this is a mixture between chords and lines. And if they are played relatively prominent it says 'Piano think'.

With an orchestra we could replace this basic idea by other means - sustained chords, crescendos, ostinatos, changing instrument groups, you name it. There could be harmonic and rhythmic elements still but in different combinations.

That is at least what I would try.

Hannes
    I was trying to keep to the letter of the law of notation that Schubert used. It is my very first attempt at orchestration. I have no formal training in composition or orchestration. I don't even know what ostinatos are. What is "changing instrument groups?" This was achieved by copying and pasting the notation from a piano version I did in Finale. I did not change a single note from the origional Schubert score.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not sure I know exactly what your mean. This is a whole new world for me. Could you submit an eight measure example and then show me how I could do some of the suggestions you've made. I'm a fifty-seven year old willing student.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 01-07-2007 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Additions

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSands
    I was trying to keep to the letter of the law of notation that Schubert used.
    This is fine for a good start. My point is that Schubert would probably have written it different if aimed at orchestra in the first place. Will continue this post later.

There is nothing bad about your version, I am just suggesting what I would do.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    This is fine for a good start. My point is that Schubert would probably have written it different if aimed at orchestra in the first place. Will continue this post later.

There is nothing bad about your version, I am just suggesting what I would do.

Hannes
    Hannes I deeply respect your input. I have read several post from you throughout this site, as well as, if I am correct the Finale website. When I asked you to do an example I did so with a sincere student teacher relationship. There is so much that I do not know and want to learn. I had hopes of you providing a sample for my learning purposes. I trust your and your knowledge and know that I can learn from you.

Sam! This is a great job of rendering. I like the material and what you have done with it. Thanks for posting it.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast