• Register
  • Help

Topic: Attack, decay, aftertouch

Question Attack, decay, aftertouch

Sorry for the stupid question...
    How to adjust Attack, Release... these kind of settings for instruments?
    It seems to me that there is nothing in Kontakt player...
    P.s Using Cubase SX
    I do not have midi keyboard...

Re: Attack, decay, aftertouch

first - welcome to this forum! It is a great place of helpful people.

Then: The concept of Attack, Sustain, Decay has been developed for synthesizers for allowing something different than piano sounds to be played with a keyboard. Therefore the natural development of a tone was studied and divided into these schematic phases.

On the 'real' instruments you would not think in these categories but form the tone in every moment of its existence. Similarly we form the GPO sound with the modwheel - and do this continuosly as long as the note lives.

Have a look at the manual and join the fun!

All your strings belong to me!

Woah! thanks for so quick response !
    Okay... so mod wheel, but if i don't have the Midi keyboard...
    The thing is i've got a piece of music, i would like to add String Ensemble or just a Violin for the beginning.... so I added some notes but they tend to end so quick and sharp like they are choped (sorry for my English :-) ), so probably I have to adjust volume at the end of each note, but i can't figure out how to do it is there anyway to do this without midi keyboard?

Hi Vichenec.

Here's an answer from another beginner, but I hope it will get you up and running easily.

What you need to do is get into your Cubase score and draw the mod wheel curves for each note. If your score is long, this can be a bit tedious, but it's worth it. I haven't used Cubase myself, but I am pretty sure you can draw in the mod wheel data.

To get an idea of a good sort of shape to draw, have a look at the examples in the tutorial "GPO String Ensemble Building Tute". You'll find this by clicking the "Support" button at the top of this page, then selecting "Tutorials". Once you've got the Tutorials page you'll need to scroll down a fair way.

By the way, this tutorial is far more detailed than anything you'll want right now. Don't let me stop you from reading it (it's good) but all I'm suggesting here is that you look at the pictures for a rough idea of the right kind of shape to draw. Then do some experimenting.

Oh yes, don't forget that the velocity value -- which you should also be able to edit in Cubase -- will control the kind of attack. Not the volume! The higher the value, the crisper the attack.

And while I'm at it, here's another trick I've learnt. If your score was originally destined for some other kind of synthesizer, it is likely that it will have velocity values which were supposed to control the volume, because that is the way that most synthesizers work. Have a peek at your score and see if this is so (do the velocity values change? Do they change in the way you would expect the volume to go?). In this case, what I'd recommend is leaving the velocity values alone until after you've worked on the mod wheel values. That's because, with GPO, the mod wheel controls the volume. You can use the (old) velocity values as a rough guide as to the height of your (new) sculpted mod wheel curve for each note. Once you've done all that, you can update the velocity values to their new GPO meaning. Or just give 'em all the same value for a first approximation.
    Canberra, Australia

Hi again.

Oops, sorry, I gave the wrong tutorial in that last post. I really meant, look at
    Master Class GPO Strings Tutorial.

It's in the same place, or just go to

Sorry about that!
    Canberra, Australia

Go Back to forum