• Register
  • Help

Topic: New film score cue for feedback

Share/Bookmark

New film score cue for feedback

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while and thought I'd finally post a composition.

I'm just a student at the moment, have been studing orchestration privately for a few months.. I got an opportunity to do a score for a short student film (I've never scored a film before) and thought I'd post the action track I just wrote for the climax of the film to get some feedback:

Showdown

It's meant to be rather superhero-ey.. the abrupt and unconclusive ending was on purpose for the particular scene.

This film score was also my first time using sample libraries.. previously I used a Roland Sound Canvas SC-88 to do my composing. So I'm all very new to samples and convolution reverb, etc.

Feedback will be appreciated!

Mike

Thumbs up Re: New film score cue for feedback

I very much like the mood and tempo of this track. It gives a sense of an epic battle scene at the Alamo.

Francis Belardino
    Bela D Media.com
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: New film score cue for feedback

"This film score was also my first time using sample libraries.."

which ones?

I use Cubase 4 as my sequencer..

For libraries I used GigaStudio 3 Orchestra with the bundled VSL Giga Symphony for the staccato cellos and bass, with Kirk Hunter Emerald for most of the non-staccato strings, though for high violin staccatos I used both Emerald spiccato and VSL giga staccato patches mixed. The brass is mostly Kirk Hunter Orchestral Brass (I prefer that greatly to the brass that comes with Emerald) but with some ProjectSAM brass stuff. The percussion is ProjectSAM True Strike 1.

I have GPO, EW Choirs and Kirk Hunter Orchestral Strings as well but did not use them in this.

Mike

Nice. Personally, I think the strings are spread around enough when I listen with headphones. The only thing your mix lacks is reverb - there needs to be at least a little more.

Otherwise, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    . The brass is mostly Kirk Hunter Orchestral Brass (I prefer that greatly to the brass that comes with Emerald)
    What is this, and where can we find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    What is this, and where can we find it?
    Three Kirk Hunter libraries (Orchestral Strings/Orchestral Brass/Orchestral Winds) were released by a partnership of Kirk Hunter and Alexander Publishing a few years back. They were much more expensive than Emerald, about $400 per library or so if I recall. I never bought the Orchestral Winds because of tuning issues I read about.

I bought those libraries along with GigaStudio 3 back then wanting to upgrade from from my Roland SC-88s to something new.. However when I tried to take my old MIDI files that I had done on the Roland and sample library-ize them, it was overloading GigaStudio because I had tremendously over-orchestrated on the Roland to compensate somewhat for its lack of power. I decided to put my experiments with sample libraries on hold until I had gotten comfortable enough with harmony and voice-leading and started learning orchestration so that I'd be able to make big-sounding music without going totally overboard on polyphony.

For some reason the partnership between Kirk Hunter and Alexander Publishing ended suddenly, and the products were no longer generally available less than a year after their release.. Then Kirk Hunter released Emerald and Alexander Publishing released the E-MU Symphonic Orchestra.

Orch Strings/Brass have three different mic distances unlike Emerald which has only one. I however only used the close mic.

After "upgrading" to Emerald I decided to do a side by side comparison of the strings and brass in Emerald with the former Orchestral Strings and Brass. The strings were virtually identical between the two so I decided to remove the Orchestral Strings from my hard drive to save disk space and just use the Emerald strings. In my comparison of the brass sounds side by side, I found Orchestral Brass was much more realistic sounding than Emerald, which I found sounded a bit more "artificial" to my ears. Thus, I left that on my hard drive, and use its brass instead of the Emerald brass.

Both are GigaStudio 3.0 releases, with almost identical naming schemes and programming, and similar overall feel.. just different samples and more of them in the Orch Brass.

Mike

Nice composition.

I agree about the lack of reverb but only because the tails of some of the notes end a bit abruptly, mainly in the strings.

Is the brass that you used the "Virtuoso" Series and did it come in Giga 2. version?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Is the brass that you used the "Virtuoso" Series and did it come in Giga 2. version?
    No, the brass that I used is not the Virtuoso series. The Virtuoso series is older than the Kirk Hunter Orchestral Brass product. The Orchestral Brass/Strings/Woodwinds was intended to be the replacement for the aging Virtuoso series but ended up being discontinued and replaced by the current Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby releases.

AFAIK, the Orchestral Brass was Giga 3 24-bit only and was not available in Giga 2 16-bit format.

Mike

In case anyone is interested.. Since writing this cue, I got Epic Horns and Altiverb, and I replaced the Kirk Hunter French Horns patch with Epic Horns and GigaPulse with Altiverb. I also took a course in mixing and mastering.. so here is my remixed extended cue.

FF Showdown Mastered

Mike

Go Back to forum