I've been lurking around here for a while and thought I'd finally post a composition.
I'm just a student at the moment, have been studing orchestration privately for a few months.. I got an opportunity to do a score for a short student film (I've never scored a film before) and thought I'd post the action track I just wrote for the climax of the film to get some feedback:
For libraries I used GigaStudio 3 Orchestra with the bundled VSL Giga Symphony for the staccato cellos and bass, with Kirk Hunter Emerald for most of the non-staccato strings, though for high violin staccatos I used both Emerald spiccato and VSL giga staccato patches mixed. The brass is mostly Kirk Hunter Orchestral Brass (I prefer that greatly to the brass that comes with Emerald) but with some ProjectSAM brass stuff. The percussion is ProjectSAM True Strike 1.
I have GPO, EW Choirs and Kirk Hunter Orchestral Strings as well but did not use them in this.
Three Kirk Hunter libraries (Orchestral Strings/Orchestral Brass/Orchestral Winds) were released by a partnership of Kirk Hunter and Alexander Publishing a few years back. They were much more expensive than Emerald, about $400 per library or so if I recall. I never bought the Orchestral Winds because of tuning issues I read about.
I bought those libraries along with GigaStudio 3 back then wanting to upgrade from from my Roland SC-88s to something new.. However when I tried to take my old MIDI files that I had done on the Roland and sample library-ize them, it was overloading GigaStudio because I had tremendously over-orchestrated on the Roland to compensate somewhat for its lack of power. I decided to put my experiments with sample libraries on hold until I had gotten comfortable enough with harmony and voice-leading and started learning orchestration so that I'd be able to make big-sounding music without going totally overboard on polyphony.
For some reason the partnership between Kirk Hunter and Alexander Publishing ended suddenly, and the products were no longer generally available less than a year after their release.. Then Kirk Hunter released Emerald and Alexander Publishing released the E-MU Symphonic Orchestra.
Orch Strings/Brass have three different mic distances unlike Emerald which has only one. I however only used the close mic.
After "upgrading" to Emerald I decided to do a side by side comparison of the strings and brass in Emerald with the former Orchestral Strings and Brass. The strings were virtually identical between the two so I decided to remove the Orchestral Strings from my hard drive to save disk space and just use the Emerald strings. In my comparison of the brass sounds side by side, I found Orchestral Brass was much more realistic sounding than Emerald, which I found sounded a bit more "artificial" to my ears. Thus, I left that on my hard drive, and use its brass instead of the Emerald brass.
Both are GigaStudio 3.0 releases, with almost identical naming schemes and programming, and similar overall feel.. just different samples and more of them in the Orch Brass.
Is the brass that you used the "Virtuoso" Series and did it come in Giga 2. version?
No, the brass that I used is not the Virtuoso series. The Virtuoso series is older than the Kirk Hunter Orchestral Brass product. The Orchestral Brass/Strings/Woodwinds was intended to be the replacement for the aging Virtuoso series but ended up being discontinued and replaced by the current Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby releases.
AFAIK, the Orchestral Brass was Giga 3 24-bit only and was not available in Giga 2 16-bit format.
In case anyone is interested.. Since writing this cue, I got Epic Horns and Altiverb, and I replaced the Kirk Hunter French Horns patch with Epic Horns and GigaPulse with Altiverb. I also took a course in mixing and mastering.. so here is my remixed extended cue.
FF Showdown Mastered