• Register
  • Help

Topic: How does Finale work exactly?

Share/Bookmark

How does Finale work exactly?

I have read somewhere that some of you write your music in Finale first, and then export it to a sequencer. But how exactly does it work? Is it a MIDI-file that Finale can export, which you then import into your sequencer, where you then "fill in" the instruments by hand?

I can imagine it must be quite a lot of extra work compared to just composing using the sequencing program only. On the other hand, it must be easier to get an overview of the score you're working on in Finale compared to in a sequencer. Plus you have your score in notation form of course.

Is that how it is?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Henrik

Re: How does Finale work exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    Is it a MIDI-file that Finale can export, which you then import into your sequencer, where you then "fill in" the instruments by hand?
    That's correct. You export a MIDI file from Finale, open/import it in the sequencer, load the instruments (by hand), tweak the MIDI data where needed, apply effects (reverb etc.), mix (balance) the tracks and export the mix as an audio file.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    I can imagine it must be quite a lot of extra work compared to just composing using the sequencing program only. On the other hand, it must be easier to get an overview of the score you're working on in Finale compared to in a sequencer. Plus you have your score in notation form of course.
    Yes, I guess that is basically how people, who start in a notation program, feel about it. And yes, there is extra work involved. How much depends on how much you want to raise the quality of the final audio file and how much work you put into the MIDI file. Finale's HP can give you a lot of the MIDI data necessary for a good rendering; the better you adjust (tweak) HP's performance, the less MIDI editing will you have to do in the sequencer. It all comes down to the quality you crave.

Re: How does Finale work exactly?

I know that this is going to sound radical to many here; but try to remember that the original, primary purpose of notation software was (and is) to print out high quality parts on paper for actual human musicians to read when playing their instruments. The whole sample playback thing came along later, and some insist on using it in lieu of a sequencer.

Go Back to forum