• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I bought a new electric piano!

Share/Bookmark

I bought a new electric piano!

My old buddy, YAMAHA Clavinova CVP-3 has gone at last. No sound, no MIDI data out, and even no power. I could stick to repair it but the parts are not remaining in the manufacturer. Also it is 76 key instrument and I always wish to have 88 key keyboard. So, I decided to replace it with a new piano. I bought the CVP-3 back in 1987 in North Carolina. In the music store, the shop owner said $2500 and I said $1500. I knew the piano was getting obsolete. After 10 minutes of conversation, he said that we seemed not to reach an agreement. So I said you were right and said goodbye. We shook hands and I was about to walk out. Then the shop owener said, "Ok. 1500. It's done." Maybe I could have bought it at 1200 or less.

Actually, it is quite a something to trush a piano on which I wrote all the tunes for almost 19 years.

The new piano, YAMAHA YDP-151c (about $800) fits very well in our room. One reason why I choose this model was that it was very stable when I put sheet music or music note on the piano.

The progress of the electric piano sound is marvelous (well in 19 years). I compared the sound with GPO piano. The difference were smaller than I expected but I think GPO piano is a little toward my taste. Here is a sample for your information.

http://jun.music.coocan.jp/music/ydp-151test.mp3

(The same phrases are performed first by YDP-151, and then by GPO)

I once thought to buy a piano in the current Clavinova line but they are too expensive. I do not want to spend TODAY more than $2,000 for an electric piano as I use it only as a MIDI input device. Most expensive Clavinova costs $6000. Outrageous.

Now I am happy with a new piano. For a while, I would spend sometime to play it.

What keyboard do you use for MIDI input?
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: I bought a new electric piano!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    What keyboard do you use for MIDI input?
    Oberheim MC1000, just a muted 88 keys piano. Outputs only MIDI info. Programmable wheels, sliders and programmable key assignments. That's to say that I can assign some keys (key ranges) to different ports, and some more features. It feels like a real piano (not quite as the real thing but nevertheless a good replacement).

Good luck with your new piano.

Raymond

Well, mine is strictly a midi controller keyboard. No sound at all. Decent feel, but totally dependent on external sound module. (Fatar Studio 90, 88 keys). It provides fair control over input velocity, and will continue to suit my needs as long as I have my Baldwin grand in the living room. I have thought of getting a second keyboard so I could use them together as organ manuals, but then I would want a pedal klavier, then something else, etc!

Richard

Hi Jun,

I totally appreciate your experience. I bought a Clavinova (88 keys - 3 pedals) 14 years ago and used it along with an external sequencer (Roland MT-200) for years and years. But after the piano started acting weird, hen you would play a note but it would play that note twice, I thought I was going to have to replace it soon. (turned out to be a worn contact strip where the little hammer pins of the keys had worn through the rubber and were striking raw metal contacts) So, I guess I don't know what it is like to lose a keyboard like you did - where everything just DIES, but mine has been sick before

But the big change happened when the MT-200 started to act up - and I was tiring of the same sounds, I bought a Korg Triton Le. 61 keys - TONS of sounds. BUT.. I was dissappointed in its orchestral samples.

So after I discovered GPO, I knew I had to move to computer-based sampling. I mostly use my Triton LE as a MIDI controller, and my Clavinova as a regular piano - for anyone in the family to play.

While I find the spring-loaded "joystick" controller of my Korg hard to use with playing GPO live - it is a GODSEND to use with the Strad and the Gofriller! It never allows the modulation to be static by itself, so, like a real string player, the vibrato and volume are never static. That helps a lot.

But - I write more music at nights working at the hotel than I do at home ususally, so I also have a M-Audio Oxygen-8. I like its size, and it has tons of knobs and programmable controllers, but it is only good for melodies and note entering.

I would really PREFER an 88-note weighted piano type controller with pitch and modwheel, but that won't be happening anytime soon.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope it helps your inspiration as you write more wonderful music.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I bought one of the last Yamaha p-120, very good for me.
    GPO - Jazz and Big Band - Logic Pro 7.2
    iMac G5 - 20" 2GHz - 2Gb RAM - MacOs X.4.11 Tiger

Thank you very much for all your input. It is interesting to know other's solution for midi input device.

Ideally, I would like to have a piano-type keyboard and synth-type keyboard with joystick or modulation wheel but my space does not allow me to have both. Also, a piano workable without firing up computer is always very handy for me.

P-120 was actually in my candidate list of new piano. It is compact and fits to my place but when I thought I had to hastenly erase my pencil written notes very frequently with FULL STRENGTH on the keyboard sheet music stand, it looked not stable enough for that purpose
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

CONGRATULATIONS!

We expect a concert soon, right?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    We expect a concert soon, right?
    Yes. I am holding one-man show (performer: me, listener: me) every night
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

I've bought the Yamaha P-140 as a New Years present for myself, and now I'm thinking of a Novation ReMote to go with it - I like the X-Y touchpad on the latter, although they say its sliders are less than sturdy.

If anyone can think of a better keyboard controller to sit atop the Yamaha piano, I'm open to suggestions. But I'd really like it to have a ribbon controller.

Anyway Jun, congrats on the new piano buddy!

Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphal
    I've bought the Yamaha P-140 as a New Years present for myself, and now I'm thinking of a Novation ReMote to go with it - I like the X-Y touchpad on the latter, although they say its sliders are less than sturdy.

If anyone can think of a better keyboard controller to sit atop the Yamaha piano, I'm open to suggestions. But I'd really like it to have a ribbon controller.

Anyway Jun, congrats on the new piano buddy!

Cheers Matt
    Thank you for your comment. ReMote looks very interesting. I thouhgt it should be very powerful in using an integrated environment like Reason.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Go Back to forum