It is just a beginning, but I found this one on the net:

http://beststudentviolins.com/terms.html

Have fun (sound files are there but with lots of white noise),

Raymond

Re: Violins Terms with musical examples

Thanks, Raymond. Very useful!
    Jon

Thanks! As a fledgling digital violinist, I am constantly having to look up these up when reviewing string scores.

Hi: In doing some statistical analysis, I found this page where my link was given:

http://beststudentviolins.com/terms.html

Thanks for that. I'm glad it was helpful. I don't think the sound files are perfect (what is "white noise"?) but the best I could do with what I have -- which is Audacity, a Samson SoftPre mic and a WAVTOMP3 program. All on my laptop, in my living room.

These files were originally conceived as add-ons to some music theory modules on the open-source, Connexions project based at Rice University. The files are copyright protected.

Not sure what this board is about. GOP?

Thanks,
    Connie
    beststudentviolins.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmsunday
    (what is "white noise"?)
    In other words, just noisy. I hope you don't mind putting this on the forum of Garritan Personal Orchestra/The Stradivarius. GOP???? Maybe misspelled GPO.

Raymond

Hi Raymond:

I remember in composition course, probably "20th Century Techniques," that white noise was static, I thought...

What does it mean put "on the forum of Garritan Personal Orchestra/The Stradivarius"?

Okay, let me add that I looked over there, in that general direction. I like the tutorials on Rimsky-Korsakov. I'd like to admit, though: I'm not entirely sure what this board is all about....is it about creating electronic music with traditional forms and sounds?

As a working musician (and teacher of same), that rather scares me.
    C.M. Sunday
    http://beststudentviolins.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmsunday
    Hi Raymond:

I remember in composition course, probably "20th Century Techniques," that white noise was static, I thought...

What does it mean put "on the forum of Garritan Personal Orchestra/The Stradivarius"?

Okay, let me add that I looked over there, in that general direction. I like the tutorials on Rimsky-Korsakov. I'd like to admit, though: I'm not entirely sure what this board is all about....is it about creating electronic music with traditional forms and sounds?

As a working musician (and teacher of same), that rather scares me.
    It's not really white noise, just recording hiss! Which is fine in this situation.

This forum has lots of content on creating musical pieces/recordings etc etc using software instruments such as Garritan Personal Orchestra; I also use East West's Symphonic Orchestra etc.

I am also a musician (pianist mainly and composer) and these advances in technology excite me. I can sit with a client, and he can say

"I don't like those loud harsh things" and I can reply,

"Oh the horns, I'll just drag them to flutes"

"Oh yes, I like that much more"...

This is something you haven't got the time to do on a live sound stage with thousands of dollars every minute evaporating.

Exciting times...

Go Back to forum