• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB at the International Assoc. of Jazz Education in NYC

Share/Bookmark

JABB at the International Assoc. of Jazz Education in NYC

We will again be exhibiting at the International Assoc. of Jazz Education in NYC this coming week, January 11-13, at booth #258 at the show. The conference will be held at the Hilton New York and the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers. Chuck Israels and Tom Hopkins will be representing us at the booth.

We will be featuring the Jazz and Big Band library and showing a new Jazz Arranging Book by Chuck Israels.

Tom will be presenting a technology clinic at the show. The clinic is called "Jazz and Big Band in the Digital Age". This clinic will focus on state-of-the-art music technology as it applies to jazz and big band, and how it demonstrates the new tools available. The clinic will explore how to use the Garritan Jazz and Big Band as a compositional and arranging tool and how to achieve greater expression and realism. The clinic will be Saturday, January 13 at 10 am Concourse A, Hilton.

With more than 8,000 members in 40 countries, IAJE is the leading authority and primary voice for the promotion of jazz through education and outreach. There over numerous concerts, performances, clinics and workshops at the conference. For informations see: http://www.iaje.org/

This is a very enjoyable and worthwhile show. If you happen to be at the conference please stop by.

Gary Garritan

Re: JABB at the International Assoc. of Jazz Education in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Tom will be presenting a technology clinic at the show. The clinic is called "Jazz and Big Band in the Digital Age". This clinic will focus on state-of-the-art music technology as it applies to jazz and big band, and how it demonstrates the new tools available. The clinic will explore how to use the Garritan Jazz and Big Band as a compositional and arranging tool and how to achieve greater expression and realism.

Gary Garritan
    How about video taping this and selling it on your website?

Keith Walls

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We will be featuring the Jazz and Big Band library and showing a new Jazz Arranging Book by Chuck Israels.
    Is the book out yet? Does it have an ISBN?
    I'd love to go to the event but it is too expensive
    Thanks,
    Serge

Nate Chinen of the New York Times just wrote an interesting article on the state of jazz education in America in the context of the upcoming conference.

The article is called "Jazz is alive and well. In the classroom, anyway".

You can read it here (free registration may be required)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/ar...ic/07chin.html
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

How do we get Chuck's book?

I got his CDs and they are superb!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

When I saw the name of Chuck Israels I thought he couldn't be "that" Chuck Israels, but yes, he is one of my heroes, he contributed to the two Bill Evans albums I like the most, "How my heart sings" and "Polkadots and moonbeams". My deepest admiration to him... and I hope there's a way to get his book

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    When I saw the name of Chuck Israels I thought he couldn't be "that" Chuck Israels, but yes, he is one of my heroes, he contributed to the two Bill Evans albums I like the most, "How my heart sings" and "Polkadots and moonbeams". My deepest admiration to him... and I hope there's a way to get his book

Roberto
    Roberto...

Where did you see Bill Evans? In Italy? If so, when?
    Fortunately, I grew up in New York City and saw Bill Evans frequently...but never with Chuck...I was too young! Snuck in underage many times at the Village Vanguard...it was good to be tall . Best time was in 67 or 68 with Philly Joe Jones & Eddie Gomez.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Roberto...

Where did you see Bill Evans? In Italy? If so, when?
    Fortunately, I grew up in New York City and saw Bill Evans frequently...but never with Chuck...I was too young! Snuck in underage many times at the Village Vanguard...it was good to be tall . Best time was in 67 or 68 with Philly Joe Jones & Eddie Gomez.

Jim
    Jim, I saw Bill Evans in Brescia (Italy), my town, during summer 1980, just before he passed away. With a young Mark Johnson and Joe La Barbera on drums. A magic night, the piano he found on the stage was really bad though. It was such a shame, he did a long presentation explaining that in a piano trio the quality of the instrument had a weight on the performance and he wasn't going to play on that piano. After a while, though, he changed his mind and decided to play anyway, luckily. I still have a vivid image of that concert, what a musical intelligence! You were lucky to be there in NY, I envy you so much...

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    Jim, I saw Bill Evans in Brescia (Italy), my town, during summer 1980, just before he passed away. With a young Mark Johnson and Joe La Barbera on drums. A magic night, the piano he found on the stage was really bad though. It was such a shame, he did a long presentation explaining that in a piano trio the quality of the instrument had a weight on the performance and he wasn't going to play on that piano. After a while, though, he changed his mind and decided to play anyway, luckily. I still have a vivid image of that concert, what a musical intelligence! You were lucky to be there in NY, I envy you so much...

Roberto
    Roberto...go here, scroll down a bit, and see a surprise for you. It should bring back a memory perhaps.
    This is before the concert you saw in Brescia, I think, but it is Bill Evans and it is Italy!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

I happen to be off those days. I can't be down at NYC all three days, but I could make a day trip to the "Big Apple"!

Will check into this!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum