• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Major Prelude

Share/Bookmark

A Major Prelude - by George Sands

This is a piece I wrote while learning to use the hyperscribe feature of Finale 2007. Mind you I entered the notates much slower than the current tempo. I have listened to so many wonderful compositions on this site and now I feel I should contribute to the forum. I hope you the listener will enjoy this piece as much as I do. I only wish I still had the "chops" to play this.

I did not have a plan when I was writing this. I just entered notes randomly and hoped for the best. Well' for me I achieved the very best for this piece. I think it is a keeper and I hope to publish this some day. Please feel free to express you feeling about this piece. I have only been composing since April of 2006. Bear in mind I am self-taught without any formal training. So be gentle but honest.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/sp-PreludeAMajor.mp3

I WRITE BECAUSE I AM COMPELLED TO DO SO.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 01-06-2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Formatting

Re: A Major Prelude

Hi Samantha,

There's some interesting work in this, and I encourage
    you to take it further... it will make a fine prelude.

As a pianist for half a century or so, I think perhaps you
    are taking this a bit quickly. Musically, to my ear, the
    inner beauty of the piece needs a somewhat more
    leisurely metric to express itself; and at that highly
    brisk tempo, there is also the matter of playability.
    There is no innate merit in velocity if it obscures the
    qualities of your writing.

From the rendering standpoint, this sounds like you have
    used Finale default settings in Ambience -- which are,
    alas, exactly backward of what they should be.

May I suggest, please, that you try setting the "Dry" at 0db;
    and the "Wet" several db below that. This will bring more clarity
    to your sound, and better bring out the detail and articulation
    inherent in the writing.

Nice start on this!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Samantha, this has some very nice elements to it. It actually reminds me a little of Chopin. I agree with David in that it does seem a little quick and might do with a little adjustment there. All in all though I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice work! I think you definately have an inate talent worth developing.

Clark

Well, Sam, it really is much too fast. There is no opportunity to hear anything but a swirl in a windstorm. Also, much too much reverb. I would love to hear it again with the reverb greatly diminished and the tempo drastically reduced!

I must add that much of my music is rather fast, but I try to keep it within the limits of the ears to focus on.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, Sam, it really is much too fast. There is no opportunity to hear anything but a swirl in a windstorm. Also, much too much reverb. I would love to hear it again with the reverb greatly diminished and the tempo drastically reduced!

I must add that much of my music is rather fast, but I try to keep it within the limits of the ears to focus on.

Richard
    I will follow your and etlux's suggestion. I'll work on it and when Gary returns I'll re-sumbit the revised version.

Go Back to forum