• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sforzando with trumpets

Share/Bookmark

Question Sforzando with trumpets

Hello

I been using GPO for some time now, but I still stragle to creat "real" combinations with individual instruments.
    Well not any combination but mostly with brass instruments playing in loud dynamics like forte,fortissimo and sforzando.

According to the manual (page 14) : The brass instruments also have "overlay" instruments,sampled at the f and ff level that can be layered with solo and ensemble instruments to help achieve a fuller , more massive section sound.

I'm working on recreation of one orchestral cue from famous composer (learning process ) he uses 3 trumpets sf non divisi.
    So I loaded in GPO
    1- TPT Overlay ag
    2- TPT Overlay
    3- TPT Solo ag

The combination sound good but not full innuff.
    So finally to the questions.

If I add some of solo or player1,2,3.. to the combination above, will the balance be wrong...I will end up with more than 3 "real" trumpets?

How I keep the balance beetween the real instruments written on staff and ones in GPO?

Finally,can some one with more expereance type few combination to try?

Thanks in advance ,

Sharon

Re: Sforzando with trumpets

Someone,please ?

Hi Sharon,

When you're dealing with sampled instruments and you want to mock up something, you go for the sound, not the instrument. What I mean is, if the real version has 3 trumpets, you may have to load five sampled ones to get close.

Your current layout is just ag and overlay, try something like this:

tpt player 1
    tpt player 2
    tpt overlay ag
    tpt solo ag

(Note when using the 'ag' patches, you can change the intensity/bite of the notes with cc#16. You can get a pretty punchy sound out of them)

Then add in more players or overlays as see fit - what sounds good to you? etc. Try loading the multi's, like a trumpet section and then editing that.

Then mix it together so the sound you like the most sticks out. Getting the right sound will depend on a number of things, and the best way to find it is to experiment.

Hope that helps a bit.

-Chris

Another tip for layering instruments (especially the brass) is to make each instance very slightly out of tune with each other. Use Var 1 and Var 2 for good effect.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thanks for the reply guy's .

When you're dealing with sampled instruments and you want to mock up something, you go for the sound, not the instrument. What I mean is, if the real version has 3 trumpets, you may have to load five sampled ones to get close.
    I do undastand that Chris but wanted to try the eductation approach but that again maybe you have a good point there .

Your current layout is just ag and overlay, try something like this:

tpt player 1
    tpt player 2
    tpt overlay ag
    tpt solo ag

(Note when using the 'ag' patches, you can change the intensity/bite of the notes with cc#16. You can get a pretty punchy sound out of them)

Then add in more players or overlays as see fit - what sounds good to you? etc. Try loading the multi's, like a trumpet section and then editing that.
    I deffently going to try that

Another tip for layering instruments (especially the brass) is to make each instance very slightly out of tune with each other. Use Var 1 and Var 2 for good effect.
    Thanks for the tip Skysaw...good one, I always detune oscilators on my synths for the same reason .

Thanks again guy's

Sharon

Go Back to forum