• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loading GPO sounds using Cubase

Loading GPO sounds using Cubase

I'm a GPO for Sibelius user and I've just gone and purchased an Alesis keyboard and it includes Cubase LE. I have everything hooked up, but am puzzled now how I go about accessing the Garritan sound libarary to play my files. Here's what I've done:

I have GPO for Sibelius and saved my file as a MIDI. Then in Cubase I've opened up the midi, but when I play it, it has my sound card's sounds and not my GPO. Do you know how I get the GPO sounds on instead of the cheesy ones from my sound card?

Re: Loading GPO sounds using Cubase

Hi Spencer and welcome to the forum!

I know the GPO-Sibelius combo ships with the *full* version of GPO (all patches). I am unsure if you are able to access its player using other applications, since it doesn't sound like the standalone kontakt player comes installed. (Still on Sib 3 here and its proprietary Kontakt player seems to be a completely separate entity). But, if you are able to port SibGPO over to the sequencer world, I imagine the procedure will work something like this:

Cubase LE needs to load GPO as a VST plug-in for it to play the sounds. Look around the sibelius folders on your computer for a dll file named something like PersonalOrchestraVST.dll Copy this file and place it in the Program Files/Steinberg/Cubase LE/VSTPlugins folder, where there might already be a few dll files sitting.

Open Cubase and find the VST options dialog in one of the pulldowns. Tell it to rescan the VST directories (one should be C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase LE\Vstplugins or wherever you put the dll), and it should find the Personal Orchestra VST.

Open your midi project file.

Insert a GPO softsynth(vst) into cubase's synth rack. When it loads, or on loading the first instrument you specify, it may give you an error regarding the library path in which case you have to manually point the app to the place where the library files (.nks) are stored, likely:
    C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player Sibelius\Sibelius Library or C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library

You'll likely need to load all of the GPO instruments you're using into instances of the player in the synth rack and then assign the midi ports of the instrument tracks displayed in the sequemcer to the proper channels on the corresponding instance of the player. Channel one is on the left, increasing to eight on the right.

I hope this helps!

Go Back to forum