• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Brass Quintet

Share/Bookmark

Smile Brass Quintet

Okay, I went and did another 12 tone matrix and since my brother is Trumpet Player, I thought I would write it for a Brass Quintet.

Aren't I nice.

Anyway, I tried to arrange the row so as to accentuate the intervals of 5ths early on in the row. Since the overtone series for brass intruments is based somewhat on that interval. That was the plan anyway! I made it as lyrical as possible and found harmonies in using multiple rows at once from the matrix (where convenient). It's a 3 movement piece. These links work for me so I'll list them 1st. They should bring up a player for the movement. If the first 3 links don't work, the 4th link will take you to the site page so you can click on the piece you want to hear!

Movement 1 - Moderato assai

Movement 2 - Adagio

Movemnt 3 - Allegro

If those don't work go the the site

Enjoy them! I enjoyed writing them. Oh and the links to each of the movements above are to a player for Hi speed access, so they probably won't work on a modem just broadband. The 4th link will give you a choice of hi or lo.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Brass Quintet

Rich, I'm not able to listen to your composition... will try again tomorrow

Roberto

Thanks for trying Roberto. If the first 3 links to get you to the individual songs, the fourth link should take you to a page that has all my songs. Then you can click on the song you want to hear.

I will double check from a different computer to make sure that the site is now just getting my id and allowing connection.

Rich

For some reason my web browser (Internet Explorer) won't allow me to access your posted site. It could be that one of my settings, that I am not aware of, needs to be changed.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Gee, I'm sorry some can't get to my music to hear it. I'm not sure what is wrong. It has worked in the past! Here's the link to my music page in a straight forward (non-hyperlinked) format:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=381168

Maybe this will help!

Rich

Congratulations, Richard! I'm generally unethusiastic about
    12-tone work; but you are genuinely changing my mind with
    your skill in this genre. Not to mention the highly able brass
    writing, this small suite is also truly expressive, dynamic, well
    balanced, and, by gosh, a pleasure to listen to from one end
    to the other. You've succeeded in shaping an often sterile
    (to me) technique into one with warmth and purpose and
    creativity firmly stamped upon it.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks, David. You are to kind with your words, but I do appreciate them. I didn't follow the rules for 12-tone to the letter and I don't think one needs to. But, the row was designed with brass in mind and the rhythms were not often serialised.

Just because the piece is atonal doesn't mean it has to sound at all a-musical.

Thanks so much for your comments. Now if I can just get my brother's quintet to play the piece!

Rich

Rich,

Interesting work. Actually it does not sound very 12-tone to me. And that is a good thing!!! Plenty going on for sure. Nice mixes throughout.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thanks, Gary, it's appreciated. The 12 tone row is real and the matrix was used but I took liberties in rhythmic motives based on the direction of the music not on a prescribed rhythm per se. I also cheated in a couple of stacked row sections (to give harmonic structure). Your comments are always good and I thank you for them.

Rich

Rich, I was eventually able to listen to your fine quintet. I like it, the fact that durations are'nt serialised is a blessing to me, because the rhythm parameter has to remain comprehensible, in my opinion. It is also nicely rendered, bravo,

Roberto

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast