• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Apple Drops Bombshell

Share/Bookmark

Apple Drops Bombshell

Apple Computer has just announced a cell phone that runs Mac OS X, called the iPhone.

You can go to http://www.apple.com and read all the details released so far.

The applications on the phone are centered on the Safari web browser, and email through Yahoo and Google. And of course storing and viewing iTunes and iPhoto and video.

The phones will have either 4GB or 8GB of flash memory.

There is no word yet on third party applications, although this is inevitable.

I'm predicting that before long there will be new audio recording and editing software, signal processing, and virtual instruments for the iPhone.

I'm also predicting that you could plug a USB keyboard into your iPhone and have a musical instrument for live performance, taking the place of a laptop computer.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: Apple Drops Bombshell

I don't think the phone would be powerful enough for a suitable music composition platform.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    I don't think the phone would be powerful enough for a suitable music composition platform.
    Well, we don't know. Apple has not released any details on the system's central processing unit or computing power in general. Those details should come out over the next few months, as the iPhone is supposed to ship in June.

For several years many folks have predicted that the laptop computer and the cell phone would merge into one device, the size of a cell phone. Apple has just made a huge achievement. This is the most "futuristic" product they've come up with in many years.

If the first iPhone won't be powerful enought to run applications such as virtual instruments and digital audio recording and editing, I'll bet you that iPhone 2.0 or 3.0 will. It will just take a few years.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

It won't be powerful enough to run gpo. I am a computer programmer. I know plenty about computers. If they try to put a cpu powerful enough to run GPO in a phone, they will need to have an adiquate cooling system to keep the phone from cooking itself from death. As you know having noisy cooling fans on a cell phone would be cumbersome and impractical.

We're a very long ways away from being able to run a DAW on our phones. Typical phones are maybe 200mhz cpu for starters. They also don't use fast ram, they use memory cards which are slow. There have been Windows based mobile phones for quite some time with many games and apps of this nature. I have one. I run a GPS navigation system, a pretty sophisticated voice recorder, a golf management program, a trick MP3 player and vid movie player, as well as surf the net, read my IMAP email directly from my phone and receive notifications of appts as scheduled in outlook on my PC. The Apple one is just an OSX one of the same thing.. No big deal.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    There have been Windows based mobile phones for quite some time with many games and apps of this nature. I have one. I run a GPS navigation system, a pretty sophisticated voice recorder, a golf management program, a trick MP3 player and vid movie player, as well as surf the net, read my IMAP email directly from my phone and receive notifications of appts as scheduled in outlook on my PC. The Apple one is just an OSX one of the same thing.. No big deal.
    Ah, as the Reality Distortion Field's strength is diminishing, I realize what the important question is: "How is the iPhone different or better than a Palm Treo 750 cell phone with Windows Mobile?" Thanks for reminding me.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

It won't surprise me if already people are working on ways to dual boot Vista on it. I will have to go visit some of those OSX forums and see what those radicals are up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235
    As you know having noisy cooling fans on a cell phone would be cumbersome and impractical.
    It's only for Alaskan and Norwegian markets

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    There have been Windows based mobile phones for quite some time with many games and apps of this nature. I have one. I run a GPS navigation system, a pretty sophisticated voice recorder, a golf management program, a trick MP3 player and vid movie player, as well as surf the net, read my IMAP email directly from my phone and receive notifications of appts as scheduled in outlook on my PC. The Apple one is just an OSX one of the same thing.. No big deal.
    Uh, no, you speak in ignorance. No Windows-based mobile phone is of this nature. Not even close. The iPhone puts EVERYTHING else in the category to shame. You must not have seen it in action yet. It IS actually a very big deal and you're pretend nonchalance is not going to diminish that. Apple have just embarassed MS, Palm, Blackberry, Motorola, et al, today.

If you watched the iPhone presentation you'll notice that Jobs made a point of showing Beatle albums on it.

Conclusion: It looks like a settlement is in the works with iTunes getting the Beatles catalog.

Another development was that Apple changed it's name from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc.

Jobs boldly stated that their iPhone technology is five years ahead of the smart phones. He also said there are 200 patented technologies wrapped up in it.

It looked like pretty wizz bang stuff to me.

Phil

Go Back to forum