• Register
  • Help

Topic: Silent Stradivari

Share/Bookmark

Question Silent Stradivari

Hello everybody!!!
    I'm desperate about this problem I'm having with using Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin. I've already gone through all the advice some of you guys and Tommasini gave here on northernsounds.com to try to solve the problem. I've done everything imaginable from reinstalling Kontakt 2 several times to pulling out the remains of hair I still have, but I can't hear anything either Kontakt being in STANDALONE state or as a VSTi (I can load and play any other instrument but the stradivari violin). I've downloaded the DLL files you suggested and put them in System 32 folder, just in vain ( by the way, there are no NI_DFD_1_4.dll nor NI_IRC_1_1.dll to be overwritten). Below are the specifications you might need. Please, for God's sake, help me!
    Sincerely,
    Farinely

Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2
    AMD Sempron 2500+
    1.75 GHz, 736 MB Ram

Soundcard - CMedia CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Kontakt 2.2.0.005

Re: Silent Stradivari

Did you use the modwheel (typical GPO beginners problem)?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Welcome to the club. It is a brute to get going for reasons that escape me. I still haven't cracked standalone. But in vst mode (and it is a beauty so perservere) have you checked that you are not in 'purged mode' or its half brother with an amber light. It took me a while to discover you have to reload every time, even a saved piece of work in which the strad is already loaded, to get the green light. The other settings are, I think, for disk streaming which won't come out to play either. It also took me a while to work out how to see more than half of interface at a time, which explains my skill level. Intuitive the strad is not. Have you, by the way, tapped File on the toolbar and checked your audio settings? The strad won't work unless it likes them. Although I had ASIO, I downloaded the free ASIO4All.com (recommended by NI) to be on the safe side. I note that the sampled strad was made in 1716, the same year as Stradivarius's most famous violin, The Messiah. The nickname was coined by a 19th century Parisian instrument dealer because he had heard so much about it from the Italian dealer (Tarisio) who boasted about it but never let anyone see it. Thus messiah - the violin that is always expected but never comes. Indeed, could this be it!!! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    It took me a while to discover you have to reload every time, even a saved piece of work in which the strad is already loaded, to get the green light.
    Dermod, if you uncheck Options | Load | Load Instruments/banks/multis in "purged mode", the samples should load automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    Thus messiah - the violin that is always expected but never comes.
    You mean, like GPOA - the Messiah of our time?

Thanks for the tip which work fine.

Thanks Hannes F and dermon for trying to help. As I told you I've tried virtually everything, and the PURGE button and reloading are no exception. I just got an email from Tommasini who went straight to the point: Update your NI. Isn't anybody facing the same kind of problem and got a way out or am I alone? I guess you guys are right: will The Messiah ever come???

I hope, Farinely, your e-mail advice has worked. I am now fully up and running in both standalone and vst mode. I have no idea how, but pressing every combination of everything seems to have made program submit.

Quote Originally Posted by farinely
    Thanks Hannes F and dermon for trying to help. As I told you I've tried virtually everything, and the PURGE button and reloading are no exception. I just got an email from Tommasini who went straight to the point: Update your NI. Isn't anybody facing the same kind of problem and got a way out or am I alone? I guess you guys are right: will The Messiah ever come???
    farinely,

First make sure you have the latest version of the Strad (downloadable from the NI site). I am wondering if your system may be a little underpowered as the requirements are 2.6+ Ghz processor and 1 GB RAM. Your system specs are substantially below that and I am wondering whether that is giiving you the problem. Also on-board sound devices (especially consumer versions) may not be the best device for this library. The Messiah in your case may be an updated computer.

Gary Garritan

Cool Re: Silent Stradivari

Dear Garritan,
    First there's nothing wrong with my system specs, though I have to agree it's below the requirements for the purpose. Just for your knowledge, I've been running Steinberg The Grand 2 on Sonny Acid (real time from my midi keyboard) and never had the slightest shadow of complication. As you may know better than I do, each system has its own unique kinds of tricks.
    Secondly (and finally) I'm quite happy with my OUTDATED system: surprising though it may be, it fulfills all my needs for now. See?!?! Why then should I be in need of a Messiah, huh?
    Thanks for bothering, anyway!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED BY UPDATING MY NI!!!!

Thank all of you guys who's taken interest and tried to help. I'm very pleased to be part of this community.

Go Back to forum