• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Finale 2007/2007a crashes on Mac

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Finale 2007/2007a crashes on Mac

Just joined the forum to seek some advice/expertise from fellow GPO users on a Finale-related problem.

While working on a fairly large orchestral project (25-30 GPO and JBB instruments)
    I have been experiencing frequent crashes. (Sometimes every 3-4 minutes.)
    The crashes are associated with playback (i.e., crashes occur after some editing then an attempt at playback using Finale's standard "play" button on the transport).

This occured on my older Power Mac G5(2.5GB RAM) and is now still occuring on my brand-new Intel Mac Pro (two 3GHz dualcore Xeon, 4GB RAM---a rocket). I am currently running Finale 2007a in Rosetta mode in order to use GPO and JABB (NI Kontakt Player1).

I have been in touch with Finale Tech Support and have had extensive back-and-forthing to no avail. (I have been a Finale user since the 1980's, just starting using Garritan products in the last year.)

Given the fact that the problem involves playback and GPO/Kontakt-Player, I am wondering if anyone has any insight or similar experience with such a problem. Right now I am "partially-paralyzed" as I have to relaunch Finale 6-8 times an hour while working (this involves a 2 minute GPO JBB reload each time!).

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt H.
    Apple Mac User

1) Mac Pro two dualcore Intel 3GHz Xeon
    with 4GB RAM. OS X 10.4.11
    6 x Samsung Syncmaster214T LCD's

2) Power Mac G5 dual 1.8Ghz
    with 2.5GB RAM, OS X 10.3.9

--Finale 2008b.r1 user with
    Garritan full GPO and JABB
    --ProTools LE 7.3

Re: GPO and Finale 2007/2007a crashes on Mac

Judging from the Finale Forums, this is a problem you share with quite a few people, and it is not just Mac related. It seems to have to do with a buggy version (1.0.0.19) of "FinaleVSTHost.dll".

Thanks for the heads-up.
    Can you point me to a particular thread at the Finale Forum(s). I have been actively using that resource as well without much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Judging from the Finale Forums, this is a problem you share with quite a few people, and it is not just Mac related. It seems to have to do with a buggy version (1.0.0.19) of "FinaleVSTHost.dll".
    Apple Mac User

--ProTools LE 7.3

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge

This is me too! Brand new dual core Dell, fresh install of GPO and F2007a, no other software to interfere but crashes every few minutes! It's playback related. Finale keeps going, so I'm able to save changes but playback trips up and I get the 'Do you want to report this error? Finale is going to close' message box. Does anyone know if the problem is being addressed?

Regards, Graham

Graham:

Sorry to hear about your problem as well. I have been corresponding with Finale Tech Support but they keep giving the same old basic advice (e.g. "trash the Finale prefs"...)---nothing remedies this. I have what I thought would be the best/fastest/most-up-to-date platform and I can't even do my basic compostional/notational work.

I have been a Finale user since the first version in the 80's[!!!] (and a Music Technology Professor for over 10 years) and can't recall such a volatile/unstable situation.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it were not for the 2-minute or so reload time on my particular GPO and JABB setup.

Please let me know if you gather any insights into this situation. I am frustrated beyond belief at this point.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    This is me too! Brand new dual core Dell, fresh install of GPO and F2007a, no other software to interfere but crashes every few minutes! It's playback related. Finale keeps going, so I'm able to save changes but playback trips up and I get the 'Do you want to report this error? Finale is going to close' message box. Does anyone know if the problem is being addressed?

Regards, Graham
    Apple Mac User

--ProTools LE 7.3

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Halper
    I have been corresponding with Finale Tech Support but they keep giving the same old basic advice (e.g. "trash the Finale prefs"...)---nothing remedies this. Matt

Thanks Matt,

I'll give this a try and let you know whether it helps in my case. That may help to move us forward one way or the other.

Regards, Graham

I have been having this problem now ever since updating to Finale 2007a. A recent complete reinstall of 2007 did not fix the problem. My current FinaleVSTHost.dll is 1.0.0.17 and this still did not fix the problem. This is on Windows not Mac.

David M.

Go Back to forum