• Register
  • Help

Topic: More JABB/FinMac2005 Issues-VOL. 2

Share/Bookmark

More JABB/FinMac2005 Issues-VOL. 2

Greetings once again,

Last week I asked about help with JABB and FinMac 2005b. I'm running on a 1.8 Ghz G5 iMac. Since purchasing JABB I've been educated about the CPU performances issues between Kontakt Player/MAC and Kontakt Player/PC.

Per Tom Hopkins' suggestions, I've turned all networking and screensaver functions OFF and this seemed to greatly reduce/eliminate digital artifacts. Thanks, Tom.

Well...with the help of "Thad", I've been taught about a method for getting around the Mac performance issues. This is done by "assembling" JABB projects with FinMac 2005b one section at a time, loading single bank sections of JABB instruments (to keep RAM issues minimal). Then, by muting all but one section at a time in Finale, using the Garritan Studio/Record To File function to create AIFFs of each section of a chart. As in:
    01_SaxesCHART.aiff
    02_TptsCHART.aiff
    03_TrbsCHART.aiff
    04_RhyCHART.aiff

At that point, I bring the audio files into Logic or Audacity, trim the first few seconds of silence, try to sync up all start times by ear, and "assemble" the whole big band audio mockup. So far, so good
    (almost) ...

NOW...the issue is that at some point into the composite of the section files, the AIFF files of the sections start to lose tempo sync with each other. Any ideas?

Also, is there an easier way to sync the start points of all the audio samples?

For the record, I'm using FinMac 2005 because that is the most stable (IMO) of the recent versions of Finale. I've read and heard about too many issues with FinMac 2007 to add those issues to this situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Eric Richards

Re: More JABB/FinMac2005 Issues-VOL. 2

Quote Originally Posted by ericrich
    NOW...the issue is that at some point into the composite of the section files, the AIFF files of the sections start to lose tempo sync with each other. Any ideas?
    Eric,

Finale 2007a will solve this for you. One of the parameters in this version of Human Playback is a choice to "uncheck" HP tempo variations. By unchecking this you can create individual .aif files that line up and combine them in an audio program. In addition 2007 features direct integtration with JABB. And Thad (Darcy James Argue) has written an extremely comprehensive HP/GPO tutorial that discusses GPO, JABB, and Strad integration with Finale.

You mentioned hesitation about 2007 because of bugs. What particular problems are you concerned with? I'm a full time engraver using 2007 everyday, and haven't had any problem that stops my workflow.

And remember, you can upgrade to 2007, and use it for a month. If you're not satisfied you can get a full refund within 30 days.

Why not try it?

Jeff

Go Back to forum