• Register
  • Help

Topic: Probably there's something I'm not doing right but still...

Share/Bookmark

Probably there's something I'm not doing right but still...

Hi everybody!

My first righful post in the Garitan forums Just got the Stradi... !

Really impressed by the manual and promises but I run into a problem straight after installing and registering...

I use Cuabse SL3. 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, so no problem in specs...

It's probably something to do with me, but can't figure it out and I've spent more than an hour.

I load the kontakt player 2 and then load either one of the two patches (and both of them sometimes). It loads up all WAV files (sord, spic, legato etc...) and memory is around 80 Mb or something, which all is fine.

But I can't use the keyswitches! The default articulation I get is spiccato attack, and I cannot change that no matter what I try. Mod wheel does change the speed of the vibrato, but can't figure it out.

How can I try the harmonics? or the pizz? or the rest of the articulations (and the legato!).

Please anyone? Enlighten me, as I'm pretty sure I'm doing something stupid. And I've read the manual, btw...

Nikolas

Re: Probably there's something I'm not doing right but still...

Any chance youre not using an expression pedal/controller for CC#11? Without that, all you get is a very short raspy sound
    Fred

I'll give it a try... I tried playing with CC1 but not CC11... I'll let you know pretty quick!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Mod wheel does change the speed of the vibrato
    I hope not - it should control the amount of vibrato, not the speed.

Errr, btw, the manual does give you a few good tips on how to use the Stradivari. That is, if you read it.

But I can't use the keyswitches! The default articulation I get is spiccato attack, and I cannot change that no matter what I try.
    The KS do not appear in the Kontakt Player, but they are exactly as defined in the instructions.

Ypu, C11 did the trick. !

Now on the comments, yes it is the ammount not the speed and I appoligse for that. I did read the manual, but it does take a tad of practice as well

Furthermore Idon't have any midi controler, or keyboard or anything here (or anywhere) and thus it is more difficult to start trying, even the keyswitches.

With the C11 at 0 (inactive), the keyswitches did not work indeed, nor in Kontakt player 2, neither in the piano roll. Now they do.

Thank you for all the help. Will have to spend some hours to start getting decent results I guess, either way it's not an "easy" instrument to play really, but much worth it

Idon't have any midi controler, or keyboard or anything here (or anywhere) and thus it is more difficult to start trying … it's not an "easy" instrument to play really, but much worth it
    Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'd strongly encourage you to get a MIDI controller keyboard (or synth with a good action) with aftertouch, complete with a continuous foot pedal for sending out CC#11.

The Garritan Strad (like the original...) was made for real-time playing!

/Joey

I know... But my space is WAY too limited actually! But yes, once space comes my way I'll get a GOO keyboard (and monitors... I don't have monitors... I have great headphones though... and I know I know I know about the work you can do with monitors vs headhpones.. )

Hi Nikolas,
    If you don't yet have a keyboard/controller let me suggest a working method that may work for you.

I assume you're using a sequences rather than a notation program

Place a CC#11 value 64 in the sequencer track prior to entering notes (that way at least you'll get some reasonable level.

Enter the notes(however you do that)

Go back and enter (draw) dynamic CC#11 values (pencil tool - whatever?) to give you the expression you want within the piece

Go back and again using whatever tool your sequencer has and add the AMOUNT of vibrato you want CC#1

Lastly, go back and enter aftertouch information (most sequencers cn do this) which will give yo the SPEED of the vibrato

And lastly of course get yourself a keyboard because you can actually PLAY the strad in real time when you have all the controllers.

Good luck,
    Fred

Thanks Fred.

Will follow your guide.

I do have a track planned for the very near future, so I will post the results shortly...

Again thanks. (all of you)

Go Back to forum