• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Perry Mason" theme - JABB plus GPO

"Perry Mason" theme - JABB plus GPO

This is my second project using JABB which I'm very happy to have found in my Christmas stocking.

My first whirl with the program resulted in one of the "Auld Lang Syne" posts that popped up here at the start of the year.

This new project was also great fun, working with one of the best TV themes ever--"Park Avenue Beat" by Fred Steiner, which is the universally known theme music for the "Perry Mason" TV show.

It's my arrangement with some different chord voicings from the original, but I think anyone would know what the piece is after the first two seconds.

I used GPO for Strings and Tympani, all the rest is JABB.

Randy Bowser

Re: "Perry Mason" theme - JABB plus GPO

I agree with you that this is one of the best T.V. themes. You did a great job on this. It brought a smile to my face when I heard your arrangement. Thanks for posting it.

Great work!

What a fun idea, to mock up a TV show!.. would never have thought of that.
    This could open the door to a new range of musical genres on the forum.

Your interpretation was quite wonderful ( from what I can remember of the music)

There's allot of nice articulations here.. so many unique overlapping voicing, but yet it maintains clear.

Well done!

That was very nice, Randy, enjoyed the arrangement and the realisation is first class . One of my favourite tv themes too...

Wow that was fun.
    Love the screaming tpts at the end.
    Nice to hear a JABB/GPO piece, there have been surprisingly few.

regards Joe

man that took me back to being a kid. I remember having to go to bed just as that show was coming on the black and white TV. That had to be alot of fun to do. The piano playing is so cool in that piece.

Great job!

Great job. I really like the mix of GPO and JABB. This has always been one of my favorite television themes. Great job.

Now how about Peter Gunn!!!!

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Wow, great job on this, Randy!

Love those trumpet screams Joe pointed up;
    but the whole job on this is really first-chair.

Excellent performance. This one requires
    a great deal of care to get accents, phrasing,
    and swing to roll just right -- and you outdid
    yourself on that, Randy.

The camaraderie and encouragement on this bulletin board is just the greatest.

jaynkate01, jsp2, oldbob, joaz, DPDAN, Jonny Lost and etLux--Thank you so much for all the kind words and encouragement. It's a special thing, to be able to share music online like this with fellow musicians. Reading your responses made my day. I thought the Perry Mason would trigger pleasant memories--glad my grittier-than-the-original version did just that.

I'm surprised there aren't more GPO/JABB pieces posted. To combine the two programs is what got me excited to get JABB this Christmas. I've worked with GPO over a year now.

I'm glad the idea of doing interpretations of TV themes is appealing. I'm in Jazz kindergarten really, so the relative simplicity of the Perry Mason theme appealed to me.--Peter Gunn!--Good idea! How about the theme from Mike Hammer--nice smoky 6/8 piece in that pop/jazz category.

I just had to add to this thread to thank you all for your positive reinforcement. I'm looking forward to posting my original pieces to share with the group here. I've tested the water, and it feels very warm--so I shall return!

Very cool and well done. I can see the opening of the show with Perry Mason walkin in the court room. Also that tune reminds of Town without Pity. That would be another cool song to do with JABB.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast