• Register
  • Help

Topic: Heading to the Middle East--Need some Help

Share/Bookmark

Heading to the Middle East--Need some Help

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Howdy!

I'm about to embark on a 4 month paid vacation to the Middle East (can't say where). I just bought a notebook computer to stay in touch with the family and have a AMD Turion 1.6 Ghz processor, 2 GB Ram, and (prepare yourselves), a PATA 4200 RPM Hard Drive.

I can't get Sonar to work without sputtering terribly (even though I'm using my Presonus Firebox external sound card. I'm guessing that the hard drive is the weak link, but would like to hear from y'all before I waste the time and money trying to put in a new hard drive. Do y'all think this is the root issue?
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Re: Heading to the Middle East--Need some Help

Hi Wes,
    I don't know how to help w/the problem that you're having, but want to wish you a safe and speedy return.
    God Bless,
    Steph

Thank you, Steph! BTW, congratulations on your Sci-fi Channel Exposure contest win!
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Hi Wes,

The HDD would be the weak link for multitracking, but if it's sputtering on a single track or simple synth sounds, I'd guess that the CPU is off doing stuff that you don't care about.

Check out Dave LaBorde's WinXP tweaks here: http://videoguys.com/WinXP.html Sure, video isn't identical to audio, but they're both real-time processes running on interrupt-driven PCs.

I recommend printing out the tweaks page, and writing down exactly what you do and don't apply on the printout. After every few tweaks, re-boot and test your most critical apps. I just pick through them, apply what makes sense to me, and don't worry about that last 0.001%. Hopefully, you can optimize the laptop enough to meet your needs with the built-in HDD.

Best of luck with your PC - and best wishes on your tour.

Wes,
    I bought a 5400 hard drive for my toshiba 2.0 P4 laptop - It was like buying a new computer! It really made that much of a difference. It booted up really fast and Sonar ran a lot better. Strangely, I bought a 7200 hard drive several months ago for it and it didn't seem that much better than the 5400.
    I also picked up a 5400 hard drive for my powerbook too, it was night and day again from the 4200 drive!
    I would definitely recommend chucking the 4200 hard drive in favor of a 5400 hard drive!

moviemaestro,
    CONGRADULATIONS!!

Thanks guys! I think I'll take this laptop back for one with a SATA 5400 (or better) and will post the results.

Jon: Thanks for the link--I'm not sure I want to do that much tweaking as it's probably easiest at this point to take the laptop back . If the new one works better, I will certainly use some of those tweaks to make it even better. My only concern is that Dave Laborde's computer is not set up for the internet, and that's not something I want to possibly goof up.

It's not too hard to avoid the Internet-killing steps. Mine is still network-enabled.

I'm back from Best Buy--with the same computer. What a hassle.

I'm now going to look into replacing the hard drive, but am also considering an external HD. Does anyone know if an external HD can seek/transfer fast enough for basic Sonar use (3-4 tracks)?

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    ...Does anyone know if an external HD can seek/transfer fast enough for basic Sonar use (3-4 tracks)?
    Should work without a hitch.

I recommend looking for a unit with these features:
    * Both USB and Firewire (it gives you more options with little or no price increase)
    * A real, hard power switch.
    * A smallish power brick and cord - they can really gobble into your packing space.
    * Pre-formatted at NTFS. Some are FAT32, which don't support larger files. (You don't have to wait hours for it to format then.)

The one bummer is that external HDDs need power, so you won't be able to use it on batteries alone. Hopefully you can optimize the laptop and get your internal HDD to work well enough for battery work.

Best of luck with it!

Go Back to forum