• Register
  • Help

Topic: Susuru Hafarrakum

Susuru Hafarrakum

Well, here's an effort of mine to keep a piece symphonic. I've been criticized before that my works are too thematic without enough variation.

The mood I was going for was the feel of theorized Pangea (the begining of the world), and the end of it.

C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator

Re: Susuru Hafarrakum

Foster, I've had this looping for the last half hour or
    so since you put it up; and I must say I am taking
    quite a liking to the piece.

There's a highly picturesque quality to it; with
    strong color writing and a primal atmosphere and
    mood to it that transfers the concept with grace
    and without bombast.

A handsome work, Foster. Perhaps you might
    consider this as the basis for a suite? There's
    certainly much there to work with!

My best,

Your slow use of instrument introduction and variety is wonderful. Evenly cascades and gives the work flow among some very gagged brass lines that wake the ears. Your chord progressions are very interesting as well as the great use of appropriate dissonance. I greatly enjoyed this work; especially the lower register use of brass and winds .. a great effect and very powerful.
    Thank you for sharing this...

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Ellendale, ND

Post Re: Susuru Hafarrakum

I have no idea what has been said before, but your powerful themes are unique and wonderful. In this selection the colorful orchestration demands second and third listening to catch all the variation and subtlety.

And all that aside, what a fun piece for the orchestra.

Thanks, guys. I am considering this piece as the first movement of a suite, although I still think I came to the heartbeat end too quickly. I'll revisit lengthening the piece soon. For now this is just a rough cut.

It's kinda funny... I kept trying to move out of E-Minor (and even did so successfully for short bits), but I could never quite get there. This piece also reminded me of how much I do enjoy unison brass. I love to write thick chords (Maj7 or add2 are my most favorite). Still, there's something to be said about unison lines and how much they can convey, used properly.

Thanks for your comments.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator

Go Back to forum