• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concerto for Organ, 3tpts, strings, percussion and vibraphone

Share/Bookmark

Concerto for Organ, 3tpts, strings, percussion and vibraphone

Almost a year ago I started this piece and posted the "first draft" of it here in the listening room...

I've learned a lot about rendering music in Finale with GPO since then, and now here I give you an updated and remixed version of this piece, this time using my own organ sample set in Hauptwerk 2, and utilizing 2 separate implulse responses for the organ and the orchestra.

http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/O...ganCtomvt1.mp3

This version is a lot "cleaner", and I opted also for less reveb, which gives more clarity (and probably is closer to the sound one would get in a concert hall!)

Enjoy!

Re: Concerto for Organ, 3tpts, strings, percussion and vibraphone

It's a wonderful experience, hearing your very dramatic piece, so well realized. You mean this is an organ sample you recorded and set up yourself? It's very nice. I think the GPO organ samples are fantastic, and this organ in your piece sounds as good to me.

I want to congratulate you on using less reverb. I didn't hear the previous version, but this seemed plenty "wet" to my ears. What I heard was appealing, because I have a dislike of the unfortunately popular use of gigantic reverbs laid on heavily, as if musicians are playing at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Hopefully the tide is turning, and people doing orchestral emulations will return to a more controlled use of environmental ambience effects.

Thank you so much for the chance to hear this work!

Randy
    rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    It's a wonderful experience, hearing your very dramatic piece, so well realized. You mean this is an organ sample you recorded and set up yourself? It's very nice. I think the GPO organ samples are fantastic, and this organ in your piece sounds as good to me.

I want to congratulate you on using less reverb. I didn't hear the previous version, but this seemed plenty "wet" to my ears. What I heard was appealing, because I have a dislike of the unfortunately popular use of gigantic reverbs laid on heavily, as if musicians are playing at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Hopefully the tide is turning, and people doing orchestral emulations will return to a more controlled use of environmental ambience effects.

Thank you so much for the chance to hear this work!

Randy
    rbowser
    Yes, Randy, this is a sample set I prepared for the organ software sampler "Hauptwerk" produced by Crumhorn Labs...

Since many organs are located in large reverberant buildings, I usually prefer a more "wet" rendering of organ music, but never to the exclusion of clarity. My first version of this used the ambience plug-in in Finale, this second version used impulse responses (125 ft for the organ, 100 ft for the orchestra). The impulse is about 7 sec delay, but is one that still retains a lot of clarity.

I think there is a fine line on amount of reverb - one needs enough to sweeten the sound and place the music in the space, but not so much the lines become obscured. Reverb should never be used to try to hide or correct deficiencies in rendering(!)

Glad you enjoyed the music!

Cheers,

Congratulations on a powerful and dramatic opening movement,
    my friend!

As I've no doubt said privately, the fugally developed strings
    section starting ~0:24 is perhaps one of the most impressive
    areas of the piece -- just superb writing. (Perhaps this will
    be grist for latter movements...?)

I also appreciated the care in pacing in this piece; the measured
    rolling out of ideas; the restrained hand in maintaining tension
    and the sense of preparing for what will follow. It would be all
    too easy to let the brass get ripping and take the punch out of
    subsequent movements; but the hand of experience is at work
    here, I think, laying the groundwork with usual Orwig care.

(The organ samples in this are, too, spectacularly good, with a
    depth and realism to them rarely heard. You've fooled me more
    than once with your work in this area.)

With this as presage, I look forward to the completed concerto
    with much anticipation, Jonathan!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Congratulations on a powerful and dramatic opening movement,
    my friend!

As I've no doubt said privately, the fugally developed strings
    section starting ~0:24 is perhaps one of the most impressive
    areas of the piece -- just superb writing. (Perhaps this will
    be grist for latter movements...?)

I also appreciated the care in pacing in this piece; the measured
    rolling out of ideas; the restrained hand in maintaining tension
    and the sense of preparing for what will follow. It would be all
    too easy to let the brass get ripping and take the punch out of
    subsequent movements; but the hand of experience is at work
    here, I think, laying the groundwork with usual Orwig care.

(The organ samples in this are, too, spectacularly good, with a
    depth and realism to them rarely heard. You've fooled me more
    than once with your work in this area.)

With this as presage, I look forward to the completed concerto
    with much anticipation, Jonathan!

My best,

David
    Thanks for the kind words, David!

I've wrestled with this piece for a year now, only just recently coming to terms with all of the material I have presented in this first movement. I agree there is much here to use and develop - in fact it is for that reason that this movement is relatively short, and doesn't develop the themes exhaustively - I plan to do that as the piece unfolds

I like the string fugal section also - it was one of those things that sort of wrote itself... the lines went where they wished and ended up dictating the counterpoint

<chuckle>

You have a very good handle on this, David - it is indeed meant to be an introduction to all that will follow...

Mvt 2 is a slushy thing with more interplay between organ and Vibraphone, mvt 3 a whirling dervish of a Toccata. Parts of it are in my head, none in Finale as yet, but the day is coming soon....

Cheers, and thanks for the encouragement!

Go Back to forum