• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: No cheap PCI Express card 'till now???

Share/Bookmark

No cheap PCI Express card 'till now???

We are begining 2007 and there's no cheap (or almost) below $200 PCI express cards so my question is what are we going to do now, some motherboards don't even have PCI ports anymore (Mac pro) and others so do you know if m-audio is going to release a PCIe Audiophine card?

Re: No cheap PCI Express card 'till now???

It seems that most manufacturers have been focusing on Firewire and USB lately.

According to this

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=103728

post at gearslutz, RME will announce two PCIe cards at NAMM,
    which should be available around the time of MusikMesse...

...but on second thought, I guess that RME cards will also not be
    sub-200$ ;-)

Tobias

Here might be something more in the price-range you desire:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...111140528.html

Best regards,
    Tobias

Thanks for the links guys, the only cheap card here is the X-Fi PCIe, unfortunately those creative cards are not that good for audio (no gsf driver) so probably I'll have to wait for a sub $200.00

The reason why I don't like firewire or USB is because those devices need an extra power adapter, there's no x64 driver with any of this devices, their latency is worse than PCI counterparts so I'll wait.

USB 2.0

Try the Edirol UA-1EX
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by enb141
    Thanks for the links guys, the only cheap card here is the X-Fi PCIe, unfortunately those creative cards are not that good for audio (no gsf driver) so probably I'll have to wait for a sub $200.00

The reason why I don't like firewire or USB is because those devices need an extra power adapter, there's no x64 driver with any of this devices, their latency is worse than PCI counterparts so I'll wait.
    Usually soundcard manufacturers are lagging behind on the hardware scene. We might see PCI express cards in a couple years.

I have a MAudio FW 410. This was my first external unit. I'm impressed with it and there is no need for a power adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    USB 2.0

Try the Edirol UA-1EX
    Do you own one of those units? They are $80. I wonder how they define low latency.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    Do you own one of those units? They are $80. I wonder how they define low latency.
    The interface for setting buffer latency is pretty simple. On the lowest setting (with reduced buffer setting selected) Nuendo shows it with 6ms input latency and 3ms output latency. I would imagine that your mileage would vary depending on the quality of the USB chipset you have on your motherboard.

Since I use this to get basic audio in and out of my Vista install (they're mounted as generic USB audio devices) I've not done a lot of testing with it in an ASIO configuration. M-Audio also makes some USB interfaces that are fairly inexpensive and can probably carry their weight. But my guess is that you're not going to get sub-10ms total through-put performance with high CPU load out of a sub-$100 device. If you want to play like the pros, you've got to pay like the pros...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    But my guess is that you're not going to get sub-10ms total through-put performance with high CPU load out of a sub-$100 device. If you want to play like the pros, you've got to pay like the pros...
    Especially if it's from a company that doesn't make products in that market. I got an IK Stealth Plug. I can only get 11ms out of it. I basically bought it for the software bundle.

I guess anything under 100ms can be defined as low latency.

Go Back to forum