• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sheherazade - The Prince And Princess

Share/Bookmark

Sheherazade - The Prince And Princess

Rimsky-Korsakow's "Sheherazade" ranks as one of the most endearing and well known works in the orchestral repertory. Movement III, "The Prince And Princess" is a musical love story that I have transcribed into Finale 2006 and rendered using the GPO and JABB libraries. This work took weeks to enter and presented many challanges along the way not to mention varied tempi, dynamics and the well known violin cadenza.

The instruments used are as follows;

Woodwinds: Piccolo, Flutes 1 & 2, Oboe, English Horn, Bb Clarinets 1 & 2, Bassoons
    Brass: French Horn 1-4, Trumpets 1 & 2, Alto Trombone, Tenor Trombone, Bass Trombone
    Strings: Strad Solo Violin, Bowed and Pizzicato Violin 1 & 2, Viola, Cello, Bass
    Harp 1 KS
    Percussion: Timpani, Tamborine, Triangle, Snare Drum, Side Drum

www.garybricault.com/mp3/PrinceAndPrincessSheherazade.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Sheherazade - The Prince And Princess

Beautifully done, Gary!

Very well rendered and quite well conducted, I must say!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Beautifully done, Gary!

Very well rendered and quite well conducted, I must say!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    thanks David. It's a wonderful piece and grweat to work with. I enjoyed the chllange of rendering it..and best of all the score is public domain

Gary

www.garybricault.com

This is an enchanting piece of music. The violin jogged my memory.

I can hear the hard work that went into it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    This is an enchanting piece of music. The violin jogged my memory.

I can hear the hard work that went into it.

Phil
    Phil,

So glad that you enjoyed it. Yes the violin solo is most memorable, and interesting to enter. One of the many challanges of rendering a work of this magnitude.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary

What patience you have. A major task indeed.
    I feel the general level of the orchestra a bit quiet.
    I know pop music is completely strangled with compression but when I listen to an orchestra even the quiet passages must have clarity.
    I have re-mastered your work which offcoarse has losses through file conversion. I know some people will think "who does he think he is?" but I'd be very gratefull if you'd allow me to post it for your approval or not as the case may be.
    Please let me know

Ray Kemp
    Stirling, Scotland
    www.rayinstirling.net

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Gary

What patience you have. A major task indeed.
    I feel the general level of the orchestra a bit quiet.
    I know pop music is completely strangled with compression but when I listen to an orchestra even the quiet passages must have clarity.
    I have re-mastered your work which offcoarse has losses through file conversion. I know some people will think "who does he think he is?" but I'd be very gratefull if you'd allow me to post it for your approval or not as the case may be.
    Please let me know

Ray Kemp
    Stirling, Scotland
    www.rayinstirling.net
    Ray,

Thanks very much for your comments on this work. I worked out the mean sound level to prevent clipping distortion at the stronger passages. But it's difficult to cover a large dynamic especially in works such as this as I entered the dynamic markings exactly as on the original score that I worked from. The clariety is also a function of how the scored work in interpreted by Finale and the GPO library I have found as well.

I would be interested in hearing your mp3 file, how it fared over the entire work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Gary
    I've set myself up good and proper if I post my re-mastered version and get panned!!! ooops.

I hear what your saying about the technology you're using but frankly meters and dials don't match good ears.

eg: take six midi sequence programmers and ask them to do the same tune off the same CD, not from a score but by ear and you'll get six different arrangements. You'd be certain they weren't working from the same source.

Conductors make great orchestral performances not the other way round.

Ray Kemp

One of my favorites!

A terrific job!

As I'm listening, the amount of work involved is quite noticeable.. You do indeed have an abundance of patience.

My only minor critique would be the low volume level of sections. The peak levels are fine..I might suggest to bring up the volume in the beginning.

A great rendition!

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Hi Gary
    I've set myself up good and proper if I post my re-mastered version and get panned!!! ooops.
    ...Snip...
    Ray Kemp
    I took a good listen to your re-master recording. It's does bring out some areas better and places emphasis on others. And then I make comparisons against the Ashkenazy recording that I have.

It's tricky of course working from a score, especially trying to hold to the markings there and find a good relative balance of instruments that will hold true throughout. It's not like I have a mixing console to make corrections as the playback occurs. I notice that the recorded performance is constantly changing the relationship of the instruements and that is both good and bad. I did bring up the relative levels a few points, in part for the low levels and in part not to overdrive the highest levels.

It is good hear opinions on the work so I can work towards improvements here and in the future. Thanks for your efforts as well.

Gary

ww.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast