• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Great libraries for the EXS24

Share/Bookmark

Great libraries for the EXS24

KHSO Emerald, soon, Ruby.

Sampletekkk Seven Seas Grand and Tubed Wurlie and all their other pianos.

Vintaudio Clean Guitars.

Project Sam Brass and True Strike.

Any other favorites?

BTW, anyone know of a native EXS24 Hohner Pianet library? Scarbee's is good but he does not do it for EXS24.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Re: Great libraries for the EXS24

VSL's Opus 1 ( 2 as well, I would imagine, although I don't own that one...yet)

VLS's Chamber Strings. Even though I bought the Vienna VI of that this past year, I had bought the EXS version a couple of years back. Truth be told, I still use the EXS versions a lot because of how stinkin' efficient the EXS is, in Logic.

Scarbee Wurlitzer and Rhodes. I don't think these are available in the EXS format anymore, right? But I was fortunate to get them when they still were (if that is indeed the case...)

Sonic Implants (Sonivox now) Percussion.

I love VSL Horizon series Glass and Stones for ethereal sounds.

For electronic sounds I have nearly all the libraries from
    http://www.samplelab.com/slweb/index.jsp

This is a company owned by London music tech retailer Turnkey.

Other wise I use soft synths and Kontakt 2, but I do love using the Exs24 sounds.
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Hmmm. Interesting question.

These are the ones I've used most over the past couple of months:

- VSL First Edition, Chamber Strings, Solo Strings, Epic Horns, Glass & Stones and Mallets. What can I say! Just top notch. Like Jaimo, I bought the VI Orchestral Strings 1 & 2 but habitually keep coming back to the First Edition EXS strings.

Incidentally Jay, I purchased the EXS version of KH's Emerald after reading your highly complimentary reviews and I have to admit that I'm yet to warm to it. Maybe I'm just too used to VSL and will succumb to Emerald's charms in time. Actually, saying that, I admit that the KH trumpets have worked well on a recent job, and IMO are more effective than the trumpet ensemble in VSL's First Edition - certainly if you're looking for a big blasting fanfare-like sound. But as for the rest of it, I'm really not sure. You can't argue with the price though.

- Vintaudio Upright Piano Collection. Just SO damn good!! All my other EXS pianos (Sampletekk, PMI, Bardstown etc) take a back seat. The two Vintaudio uprights are incredibly playable and have such character.

- Samplelab Luscious Grooves, Discography and Drum Fundamentals. I just keep coming back to Samplelab's stuff. Looking forward to checking out Luscious Grooves 2. Have you got it yet Simon?

- Scarbee's Rhodes. In conjunction with the Scarbee vintage FX plug-in, it's gorgeous!

- SAM True Strike 2. MASSIVE sounding and a god-send for a gladiatorial game-show that I've just finished. Brilliant!

- Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices. Old and lovely!

I'd like to give Precision Sounds a plug. Unusual instruments and good pricing.

Oh....I see that they do mostly Giga & Kontakt/Halion, so I must have converted them to exs24-well, that works pretty well (except for the Kontakt 2 scripting). However, they do have a sale on right now which makes them worth checking out!

Also, Bolder Sounds have stuff you won't find anywhere else, a real labour of love.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    I'd like to give Precision Sounds a plug. Unusual instruments and good pricing.
    I agree. I can recommend Stingers and Monzter Guitars. Not strictly EXS but well worth a look and a conversion.

Bolder sounds is a new one to me. Hey, they've got a free Boomwhackers Percussion Tubes sample. Woohooo!!

[QUOTE=Nick Harvey]Hmmm. Interesting question.

Incidentally Jay, I purchased the EXS version of KH's Emerald after reading your highly complimentary reviews and I have to admit that I'm yet to warm to it. Maybe I'm just too used to VSL and will succumb to Emerald's charms in time. Actually, saying that, I admit that the KH trumpets have worked well on a recent job, and IMO are more effective than the trumpet ensemble in VSL's First Edition - certainly if you're looking for a big blasting fanfare-like sound. But as for the rest of it, I'm really not sure. You can't argue with the price though.QUOTE]

It is indeed a specific sound Nick and that is why I advise people to listen to the demos first. BTW, that is the way I feel about EWQLSO which many love.

And the bang for the buck factor was exactly why I pushed Kirk to do it for the EXS24, which is just so cpu efficient and great sounding. The fact that many working pros like and use it too is a nice plus but the point was to bring a library like this to the Logic students, semi-pros, etc. who cannot afford VSL and the other expensive libraries.

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    I agree. I can recommend Stingers and Monzter Guitars. Not strictly EXS but well worth a look and a conversion.

Bolder sounds is a new one to me. Hey, they've got a free Boomwhackers Percussion Tubes sample. Woohooo!!
    I am not the moderator guys but I was hoping to limit this thread to libraries specifically developed for the EXS24.

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    It is indeed a specific sound Nick and that is why I advise people to listen to the demos first. BTW, that is the way I feel about EWQLSO which many love.
    I did of course listen to a good number of Emerald demos before making the purchase. If the demos weren't impressive I wouldn't have bought it. They were and I did. I don't regret it - for the price it's an amazing deal. I'm just not bowled over by it in real working terms. However, I've already used it a lot more than EWQLSO Gold, which like you, I'm really not enamoured with.

Go Back to forum