• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which format to choose for Sample CDs?

Share/Bookmark

Which format to choose for Sample CDs?

Havent' really bought sample CDs in the past.

Was looking at the Spectrasonics New Orleans CD which looks sort of interesting (and particularly cheap and for a good cause)

Don't know which format to go for however.

I use Logic Pro on an Intel Mac. Is there any benefit getting different formats (I know there is Apple Loops or the usual universal formats?)

Would appreciate some help before I buy!

Oh, and if there are any other particularly inexpensive CDs out there that any of you would really recommend?

Re: Which format to choose for Sample CDs?

Hi Andrea.

As you're a Logic user, your obvious choice would be to go for sample collections that are formatted for the EXS24 (Logic's own sampler). A lot of samples now come with their own sample player though, and as long as you make sure that that they are Audio Units, which will enable you to use them as audio instruments within Logic, you'll be fine.

There's a new Logic/EXS24 forum here which you might want to check out:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=96

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Caro
    Oh, and if there are any other particularly inexpensive CDs out there that any of you would really recommend?
    You'll have to be a bit more specific I'm afraid. There's so much good stuff out there. What are you needing at present?

By the way, the Spectrasonics New Orleans Strut doesn't come as a CD. It's download only and contains lots of very useable jazzy, funky, swinging grooves.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Sorry Nick.

When I said CD, I meant not CD. If you know what I mean.

The only formats listed for the New Orleans download are
    AIFF
    WAV
    Apple Loops
    Stylus RMX

None of which are .exs files surely? Unless I'm a couple of branches short of a tree

In terms of what I need at the moment.

Good choirs (preferably not expensive though as I have seen a lot which appear to be!)

Possibly other very usable drum samples/loops (perhaps to use within Battery if poss) or on their own. Realistic groove, KPM at their height-esque, funky but authentically (perhaps subtlely) so, rather than in your face cheesy 2007 funk legend comeback type over-ramped stuff!

Some good bells. Of all descriptions.

Anything useable other than Virtual Guitarist which does not work on Intel.

I could go on and will....at some point....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Caro
    Sorry Nick.

When I said CD, I meant not CD. If you know what I mean.

The only formats listed for the New Orleans download are
    AIFF
    WAV
    Apple Loops
    Stylus RMX

None of which are .exs files surely? Unless I'm a couple of branches short of a tree

In terms of what I need at the moment.

Good choirs (preferably not expensive though as I have seen a lot which appear to be!)

Possibly other very usable drum samples/loops (perhaps to use within Battery if poss) or on their own. Realistic groove, KPM at their height-esque, funky but authentically (perhaps subtlely) so, rather than in your face cheesy 2007 funk legend comeback type over-ramped stuff!

Some good bells. Of all descriptions.

Anything useable other than Virtual Guitarist which does not work on Intel.

I could go on and will....at some point....

Have you looked at the Prosamples range there is a Choirs one in there somewhere.

(Update)
    I am downloading the RMX version of New Orleans Strut and will update as soon as I have auditioned it.

You will alll manner of samples in this range and they as cheap as... erm....ahh... erm... cheap samples!
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

to get the most out of orleans strut you would need RMX.
    That gives you the most flexibility and quality.
    If you dont have RMX you should try the Apple Loops.
    But timestretching those doesnt sound as good as with the RMX version and you cant edit the slices like in RMX.

I have downloaded the New Orleans Strut and auditioned it and I think as with any of the spectrasonics libraries that I have used and heard.......

It is Fabulous and it is obvious as soon as the first hit is heard that the are also very good quality.

Nice one guys!

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

If you are on a Mac I would start by getting all the JamPack DVDs for garageband. I am fairly certain all the instruments work in LogicPro as well.

At the moment there are 4 and I have all of them but the hiphop one or whatever it is.

They include virtual instruments as well as tons of loops in all different styles.

I believe each jampack collection is $99 and well worth it. The instruments on it rival much more expensive collections.

I have no idea if they work on Intel Mac as I have an older G4 iMac.

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    If you are on a Mac I would start by getting all the JamPack DVDs for garageband. I am fairly certain all the instruments work in LogicPro as well.

At the moment there are 4 and I have all of them but the hiphop one or whatever it is.

They include virtual instruments as well as tons of loops in all different styles.

I believe each jampack collection is $99 and well worth it. The instruments on it rival much more expensive collections.

I have no idea if they work on Intel Mac as I have an older G4 iMac.

I have these tooo, but for some reason blocked them from my mind when I posted.....

I can say they are on the whole excellent sounding and very good value.

Simon

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Go Back to forum