• Register
  • Help

Topic: Well You Needn't (JABB)

Well You Needn't (JABB)

Here's my first song (or partial song for that matter) with JABB.

Just trying my hand at Jazz arranging, which I haven't done much of--I'm used to doing a lot of orchestral arranging, even though I AM really a Jazz musician.

I have certain sounds in my head in terms of arranging, but I'm not quite there yet to recognize arranging-wise what goes on to produce that sound. I'll work on it.

The piano solo is not that great due to the fact it was played in through a 66-key semi-weighted keyboard. (too lazy to set up the 88-key beast)

Re: Well You Needn't (JABB)

nice work, Greg, and the piano solo sounds quite good to me...

Thanks, Roberto, that means a lot to me, especially coming from someone so skilled at JABB like yourself.

I guess I'm having a difficult time getting that smooth sax section sound, and the trumpets/trombones in the midrange sound. It'll take some more work and experimentation. I'm taking a Jazz arranging class next semester, so no doubt that'll be a great help.

Nice, Greg! And I'm with Roberto--the piano sounded great. I glance over at my 4 octave keyboard with unweighted synth action on the keys---sigh.

What's the hassle about setting up your 88 key board? Space in your home studio I guess?

ANyway, loved your piece. It cooked in a nice light way. Loved it.

You don't loose any time, do you Greg?

Sounds very nice! The brass sound somewhat a little "wrong" but I definately can't place it, as I knwo very little about jazz. So don't listen anything I say.

The piano and drums sound fabulous on the other hand. It's you playing right? It's brilkliant!

Can I ask if the UB is included in JABB or is your own playing, or your own sample? Hope I'm not impying any spaming in here...

PS. Too short! Too short!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    What's the hassle about setting up your 88 key board? Space in your home studio I guess?
    Ah, I'm just plain lazy I guess. It takes a little while to set it up since I keep it packed for gigs. Whereas the 66-key was already set up.

Nikolas, maybe what you're hearing is the lack of "mids" in the arrangement. I'm having a difficult time getting that sound that I want, but with some formal training that should set me in the right direction.

The upright bass is JABB, I used it just because I wanted the song to be 100% JABB.

Garrrr!!! FINISH IT!!!

Amazing stuff. I just got JABB in the mail today; this is very inspiring.

Thanks, Zach. I'm pretty new at JABB myself.

If you really want to hear some amazing use of JABB, listen to Roberto's works, notably this:

Loved it, Greg -- this is strong work; some quirky
    but highly effective arranging; lotta great color;
    and just a darned good job, all around.

Get back in there and finish this one!

I want to hear the rest of it!

My best,

Can't say that this particular music suits my taste but it was very well done! (I am a jazz fan though) Liked the String bass 'and' the piano solo. Well recorded too!

Go Back to forum