• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale 2007b

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2007b

Finale 2007b Updater
    Finale 2007b is a free, downloadable update available to registered Finale 2007 users. The Rebar Music functionality - used in Band-in-a-Box® Auto Harmonizing and other features - no longer condenses empty measures. Finale 2007b also contains all the improvements found in Finale 2007a including:
    • Updated Human Playback - New Human Playback features now provide additional choices for instrument, technique, action, and filter settings in the Instruments Technique & Effects pane including full support for Garritan Stradivari Violin. Also, diminuendos on long ending notes can now be disabled.
    • Updated Context Menu functionality, enhanced Baseline Triangles, and other improvements.

Re: Finale 2007b

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn
    Finale 2007b Updater
    Finale 2007b is a free, downloadable update available to registered Finale 2007 users. The Rebar Music functionality - used in Band-in-a-Box® Auto Harmonizing and other features - no longer condenses empty measures. Finale 2007b also contains all the improvements found in Finale 2007a including:
    • Updated Human Playback - New Human Playback features now provide additional choices for instrument, technique, action, and filter settings in the Instruments Technique & Effects pane including full support for Garritan Stradivari Violin. Also, diminuendos on long ending notes can now be disabled.
    • Updated Context Menu functionality, enhanced Baseline Triangles, and other improvements.
    Some of us have downloaded and installed 2007a and 2007b and are have many problems with the program crashing several times during a two or more hours of working.

From the MakeMusic (Finale) Forum:

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=174623

Although the thread initially addressed 2007a, the issues
    extend to 2007b as well.

See also:

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=176011

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=176432

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David I followed the second link and printed the information from there also. I'll be working on this during the next week. I e-mail you a draft of my cover letter.

I now have forty-five pages of info.

It seems that Finale 2004 has some crasing problems. I found this website through a general search. I don't know how to make it jump to that site but can copy this one and past it in the address bar and still get there.

http://www.mail-archive.com/finale@m.../msg13960.html
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 01-23-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo

Eliminate Resource Leak Caused by Switching Documents on Windows Platform
    IWBNI in the Windows version of Finale, a resource leak that is caused by changing the active document were eliminated.
    As it is now, this leak can cause Finale to crash (i.e. shutdown automatically and unexpectedly) when one changes the active document many times in a given session. This may be demonstrated by following these steps (on Windows 98 (Second Edition)):
    1. Run the Windows Resource Meter by selecting Start>Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Resource Meter.
    2. Run Finale.
    3. Press Ctrl+N twice to open two new documents that are based on the default document.
    4. Select the speedy entry tool (this might not be necessary).
    5. Observe the System Resource and User Resource levels on the Resource Meter.
    6. Press and hold Ctrl+Tab for about 60 seconds to continuously switch between the two document windows. Note: It is not necessary to do this continuously but this will speed up the process.
    7. Observe the System Resource and User Resource levels on the Resource Meter. The percentages should be substantially less than in step 5.
    8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until Finale crashes which will happen when the resource percentages have been reduced to very small values.
    Note: The keys Ctrl+Tab can be useful for comparing two given documents that are nearly identical. To do this, open the two documents in page view, maximize Finale and maximize the documents. Select the same page and view percentage for each document. Use the hand grabber to position the view to be in the same place for each document. Then press and hold Ctrl and repeatedly press Tab and scan for differences between the two documents as the view alternates from one document to another.

This information was posted on yet another website. Follow this link for varifacation.
    http://www.greschak.com/notation/finale/iwbni/fs667.htm

I hope you're not intending to send these old posts in to MakeMusic without first making sure they still hold true.... The file from your first link was a Finale 2003 file, and the file isn't even found on the site any more, so there would be no way to test it.

The second site you found hasn't been updated for over 6 years. Finale doesn't even run under Windows 98 anymore.

There's a good chance both issues have been fixed by now, so you should only report them if you have tested them and found that they are not fixed.

I reported a problem with Finale 2007b:

When creating a MM mark (playback), I could not create a metronome marking for a DOTTED HALF NOTE = 96.

In fact, any note value above a quarter note would not create a proper metronome "read-out" or "playback."

I am using a Mac G4 1.5 Ghz CPU with 1 GB RAM.

Called Finale Support and the person I talked with said, "I think I've seen one of those problems before, what Mac OS X are you running?" I told him Mac OS X 10.3.9. His final words were, "Well, I'm not having any trouble with this and I am running Mac OS X 4.xx. Made me feel real goody goody.

Hey, the program minimum requirements say it will WORK with 10.3.9, but that won't happen for me as I know Finale Support has many more important issues to deal with than my little metronome problem.

I've also discovered that when a lot of the "articulations" are played back, they sometimes play and sometimes don't play. Specifically, the "accent" articulation. Went to the dialog box and increased the volume on the "top note" but it did little to help me (only one note involved anyway and it is stand-alone; no ties or slurs attached).

Also, I cannot find in the manual or on the UI if the Kontakt2 player gives a VOLUME read-out on playback. Mine doesn't. It does when playing a keyboard, but not on playback. My sequencer plays everything back beautifully.

This is not the place for support issues, but I had to add to the problems above. I completed a "support document" and sent it in yesterday regarding my recent problems. Hopefully, I will get some kind of explanation soon.

If I find solutions to the problems noted, I will access the proper page on the Forum and itemize them.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2

Jack
    Just so you know you aren't alone, Jack, I've encountered
    a lot of the same things on 2007/a/b on Windows XP, as
    well. Many people have written into me via my site with
    similar reports.

The worst thing I (and others) have run into, though, is chronic
    crashing on note entry and playback every several minutes. So
    far, MakeMusic's attention has been limited to an extended game
    of DLL Bingo; ultimately fruitless, in that that is not the source
    from which the problems are arising.

Finale 2007/a/b, at least in my experience, seems to be a very
    rocky release; but, of course, as you say, Jack, this forum is
    not the place; though I agree mention of it at least is important
    so other poor souls in the same sinking boat don't think the
    problems are evident solely on their own systems.

As a general comment, folks, please, too, have mercy on me
    with the emails... lol! I'm no more expert with Finale (perhaps
    less) than my colleagues, here; and I have no good answers
    for the current issues...

And Jack, if you do hear back from MakeMusic with solutions;
    I for one would be glad to hear them.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2

When creating a MM mark (playback), I could not create a metronome marking for a DOTTED HALF NOTE = 96.

In fact, any note value above a quarter note would not create a proper metronome "read-out" or "playback."

I am using a Mac G4 1.5 Ghz CPU with 1 GB RAM.

Called Finale Support and the person I talked with said, "I think I've seen one of those problems before, what Mac OS X are you running?" I told him Mac OS X 10.3.9. His final words were, "Well, I'm not having any trouble with this and I am running Mac OS X 4.xx. Made me feel real goody goody.

Hey, the program minimum requirements say it will WORK with 10.3.9, but that won't happen for me as I know Finale Support has many more important issues to deal with than my little metronome problem.

I've also discovered that when a lot of the "articulations" are played back, they sometimes play and sometimes don't play. Specifically, the "accent" articulation. Went to the dialog box and increased the volume on the "top note" but it did little to help me (only one note involved anyway and it is stand-alone; no ties or slurs attached).
    Jack,

I'm one of Finale's beta testers. I don't recall anyone having a problem with creating a metronome marking for playback. When you say you can't create any MM marking above a quarter note, what do you mean by a "read out"? And what are your steps in defining this MM marking for playback? There is a plugin listed under expressions, which will create a MM marking that displays and plays back correctly.

Do you have an earlier version of Finale that you were able to create these MM markings in? If so, open one of those documents in 2007 and see if there are tempo discrepancies.

The accent articulation uses "key velocity" not volume. Make sure it's set to use percentages. At 100% it will playback at the default velocity. So set it to a larger percentage. (i.e., 125%, 140%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner

The accent articulation uses "key velocity" not volume. Make sure it's set to use percentages. At 100% it will playback at the default velocity. So set it to a larger percentage. (i.e., 125%, 140%)
    Thanks for the comment on that, Jeff -- I've been running into
    this too; and I did, of course, check that (they are correct).

If Jack and I are talking about the same thing (I think we are),
    this is a case of the articulations randomly not working. On
    one playback they work, on another they do not. On some notes
    they work, on other notes they do not.

Several people have also written me about this same thing.

If you have any insight on that, Jeff, it would be most helpful!

Thanks

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum