• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Garritan Introduces 'Drag and Drop' Software Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Introduces 'Drag and Drop' Software Instruments

NAMM, Anaheim, CA (Businesswire- January 18, 2007 ) Garritan, the leading developer of software instruments and soundware, announces a revolutionary new user interface for sampled and synthesized musical instruments. The revolutionary interface allows the user to select, load, manipulate and mix software instruments in one single graphical environment.

With a unique patent-pending process, the user selects the desired musical instrument icon from an icon palette and drags and drops the instrument onto a desired location on a Virtual Soundstage.

This new intuitive 'drag and drop' interface will incorporate high-quality samples, MIDI performance tools and impulse response technology. Audio characteristics of the sounds such as volume, panning and stereo spread, reverb reflections and spatial cues, are controlled by positioning the scalable musical instrument icons on a Virtual Soundstage. As an instrument icon is placed closer to the front to the Virtual Soundstage, the musical instrument icon grows larger and the volume increases. Conversely, when placed towards the rear of the stage, the icon becomes smaller and the volume decreases. As an instrument icon is placed further to the left or right of the Virtual Soundstage, the panning correspondingly goes to the left or right position. Regions or zones on stage correspond to sampled reverb impulses to provide the appropriate spatial effects.

Any number of musical instruments can be placed into position on the virtual soundstage - ranging from a soloist to a small ensemble to a grand symphony orchestra - all with simple movements of a mouse. Instruments are unloaded by removing them from the stage and various instrument arrangements can also be saved and recalled by the user.

'We have been working on this interface for several years to provide an easier and simpler system to load and mix software musical instruments', says Gary Garritan, inventor of the drag and drop interface. 'Working with samples is no longer textual or spreadsheet-like, but now graphical and intuitive. This is a natural way of working with musical instruments and this new system visualizes what the user will hear in real-time.'

A team of programmers led by David Viens from Plogue Art & Technologies developed the custom sample engine for Garritan. Viens bring years of experience and expertise in audio/DSP programming. Plogue Art & Technologies is known for developing Bidule, the finest VST host available.

With this unique patent-pending ?drag and drop? interface, the new sample engine will allow Garritan to tailor instruments in any way imaginable. Runs natively on OSX (including Mac Intel), Windows XP & Vista (32bit and x64)

Stay tuned...More Info will be posted soon
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Re: Garritan Introduces 'Drag and Drop' Software Instruments

I actually got this from the front page of the site. They must've just updated! It seems really cool, though!
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Gary showed this to me and I about fainted!!

This will be so easy to use, it makes me teary-eyed thinking of all the time I have wasted in the past doing the same thing this does in one step!
    (AND HOW!!)
    Imagine! A Sampler AND IR mixer in the same window - but just about as easy as anything can be! It's rediculously easy. Knowing Gary's goal of making things easier and better than before, this doesn't surprise me.
    I guess the only question really is:

What in the heck are the hardware requirements going to be for this?

I'll find out soon enough. Though, I am 100% sure-fire positive my measly 1 ghz and 1gb of ram on my Apple G4 laptop is NOT going to cut it! I do have a relatively good PC now though, so at least THAT will be something.

Now I think I KNOW WHY I've been waiting to upgrade to a quad-core intel-mac!! I'm going to have to add a second mortgage on my house! JK

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Wow! Really a great idea - simple in concept but very powerful. Jerry, I don't think this will be too bad on processor and memory - it seems to be more of a up front cost, setting up the panning and reverb to place the instrument in the mix. Obviously I don't know...

Cheers,
    Kenny

You people are quick!

Here is a flash mockup of the Drag and Drop interface.

Tomorrow is a very full day at NAMM. Hope to see some of you there.

Gary Garritan

This seem to be a great idea!
    But will it work with a notation program?

Björn

Thumbs up Re: Garritan Introduces 'Drag and Drop' Software Instruments

Absolutely wonderful. I am sincerely impressed.

Nice work, to all involved with this new tool.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Apart from anything else (it is a great idea, it looks great, and probably will solve all usability issues, plus making staging and panning clear and easy to do), I had some different input.

My 3 year old son is on my laps, and as he watched the flash by Gary, decided that he would like to "play". I say to him "what do you want to play?" and he goes on "Puzzle!".

So people! The new interface is SO easy that even 3 year olds can play with it And this is the best compliment (true) that I could think!

GReat job Gary!

Gary,that is fantastic!! Wow! !!!
    I hope we get to see more!!

Looks great!!! Some years ago, when starting to make music with the computer, I'd seen a reverb doing just that: placing instruments in a spatial area. Pity for me, I didn't make a note of it and can't find it anymore.

What I am asking is this: is it possible to implement this with existing Garritan Libraries (so that users don't have to buy a complete new lib?).

But..... I think reviewing my investments........

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast