• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strad 2.0 won't install

[SOLVED] Strad 2.0 won't install

Sorry my first post on here has to be on a less then positive matter. I've put in a technical support request to NI, but its been two days now with no response, other than the automated "your message has been received" email. So, here goes. Maybe someone here will recognize the problem and knows a fix.

I can't get Strad 2.0 to install, and no matter what I do, I get the same errors. The setup program reports that Strad was successfully installed, but when I try to fire it up, I get this Microsoft XP error -- "KONTAK~1.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close," followed by an invitation to send an error report to Microsoft. The dialog window has a link to see more information about the problem and error report, and clicking that link reveals this:

Error signature: AppName: kontak~1.exe AttVer: ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00001010

The setup program leaves a log in the main Strad directory. The log shows what seem to be innocuous entries, until these two lines near the end:

Could not Self-Register: C:\WINDOWS\system32\NI_IRC_1_2.dll
    Could not Self-Register: C:\WINDOWS\system32\NI_DFD_1_5.dll

I've looked around here and haven't seen this problem, but have seen some others related to those DLLs (the "silent Strad" issue). Based on that, I've tried a few things:

1) Installing the product in XP's "safe mode" instead of "normal mode."
    2) Giorgio Tommasini's "older, kinder, gentler DLLs" fix (see http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48842)
    3) Manually registering the DLLs myself (didn't work; got a message that "ni_irc_1_2.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered." Same results when I tried with the older DLLs from #2).
    4) Renaming the old DLLs ("1_1" and "1_4") to what the installation program seems to expect ("1_2" and "1_5"), and tried everything again.
    5) Disabling and reenabling the PC's audio device (see http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...d.php?t=50833). Not sure exactly when that needed to be done, so I just guessed; might not have done that correctly.

None of which made any difference. Same results, same log entries, same error. I also tried importing Strad as a VST into Sonar instead of running it as a standalone, got the same error.

It could be my PC, which is ... (please don't laugh) ... Windows XP SP2, Pentium 4 (Dell Dimension 8100), 1400 Mhz CPU, 256 MB of RAM, original issue Creative Sound Blaster card. At least there's plenty of disk space, but admittedly everything else is underpowered. Aside from that, the only thing unusual about the PC is that it has two Ethernet cards, but I can't imagine that being an issue. I scanned the PC for viruses, malware, etc. just before attempting to install Strad, and everything is clean. I saw elsewhere on here where some users with dual operating systems have problems because of conflicting versions of Macromedia Flash, but there's no second operating system on my PC.

Low RAM jumps out as a possible culprit, but I don't think that's the issue here. The errors imply to me that the problem isn't that Strad has been installed properly but fails to execute because of low resources; it looks more like Strad just isn't being installed properly in the first place. And I can't imagine any setup program maxxing out 256 MB.

The good news is that GPO and Jazz/BB both work wonderfully. I bought all three in December to take advantage of the low prices, knowing that it might be a case of "buy 'em now and use 'em later." But as long as I don't try to do too much at once, I'm able to do a surprising amount with both of them, given that I've only got 25% of the recommended memory. On top of that, I'm still learning all the intricacies of Sonar. So, if the solution to this problem turns out to be that I need to spend some bucks on hardware, I've got plenty to keep me happy until I can do that.

So ... any suggestions? Thanks,

- Phil
    Last edited by phubbard; 01-20-2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: labelled issue as solved in subject line

Re: Strad 2.0 won't install

My PC eats up 359MB before I even use any applications. I expect it uses memory for the firewall and antivirus apps amongst the other 55 processes when it starts up.

Salisbury, UK

Regarding disabling audio device. I went to the pc control panel, clicked sound and audio devices, clicked hardware, highlighted the default device of my pc (realtek), clicked the disable option. I then tried to open Kontakt Player again and it worked. I should add (probably not necessary), I first also took NI Support's advice and downloaded the free ASIO4ALL from ASIO4All.com. that took a couple of seconds. All this got me going on strad as a vst in notation via sfz. To get standalone to work I opened File on the grey toolbar at the top of the Kontakt player interface, and on the midi settings windows, made sure everything, including the windows default midi player, was turned on. Everything then worked. If you have done all that with no result, then obviously yours is a different problem. Good luck.

The Kontakt Player alone eats 119 MB. Add to that Windows and whatever else is running. You are way underpowered for the Stradivari.

Solved the problem. Borrowed a PC that has 1 GB RAM on it, put the two older DLLs into the system32 directory, installed the Strad, and it worked ... *and* the same errors showed up for NI_IRC_1_2.dll and NI_DFD_1_5.dll in the installation log. So those two errors are just from the known DLL issue that's already been addressed; the Strad *is* installing correctly, it's just not able to run. Which doesn't surprise me, but at least I know now that I don't have a defective DVD or some weird system issue. So, I've just gotta spend some money on hardware and I'll be in business.

Incidentally, it's now been four days since I contacted NI about this, and so far, not even a peep back from them except for "we got your customer support request." Oh well ... On the other hand, Giorgio PM'd me almost immediately. I just hope he hasn't wasted too much time on this.

Dermod -- Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if the fix was "disable audio device while installing," "disable after installation, run once, then re-enable," "disable and reenable between installation and first time running the Strad," etc. It turned out to have nothing to do with this problem, but I'm keeping that thread bookmarked just in case.

- Phil

Go Back to forum