• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Flute Harmonics

Share/Bookmark

Flute Harmonics

Do you know where I can find flute harmonics samples ?

Thanks,

Re: Flute Harmonics

I second this. Anybody know of sampled flute harmonics?

Any particular style of music? Would you use it for orchestral work, or rock/pop?
    Greg Schlaepfer
    Orange Tree Samples
    Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Personally, I was looking to use it for chamber/orchestral music.

I don't know of any sample libraries that have flute harmonics per se. The closest thing I can think of is GPO4, which includes a non-vibrato flute patch. At least some of the samples in that patch may be harmonics, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Isn't anything above the first octive an harmonic?

Quote Originally Posted by wcreed View Post
    Isn't anything above the first octive an harmonic?
    In a manner of speaking that is how the flute is played. However, the issue does seem to be a little more complicated than that. I'm not a flautist myself, but there are a couple of websites that provide more info on this topic. Here are the links:

http://www.flutetunes.com/articles/flute-harmonics/

http://cnx.org/content/m14065/latest/

Hope the above may shed some light on the subject.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Overblowing the notes will throw off harmonics. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull used this effect quite a bit. I think Bela D Media has a flute library with these kinds of effects.

Jim

I think Ian Anderson's sound comes from modulating the flute sound with humming, not just overblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie View Post
    I think Ian Anderson's sound comes from modulating the flute sound with humming, not just overblowing.
    My best friend is a big Jethro Tull fan, so I've gotten to know a fair amount of their music from his CD collection. You're right about Ian Anderson's flute technique, in fact he has some crazy mad skills on the instrument. I saw a concert video shot I think about two years ago, and it was amazing to both hear and see Anderson play. The guy's in his 60s and still going strong.

Steve

Go Back to forum