• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2007 and GPO suddenly stop working together

Finale 2007 and GPO suddenly stop working together

Has anyone ever had the experience that using Kontakt player, finale 2007, And Garritan Personal Orchestra, everything seems to be working perfectly one day and the next day there is no sound. I've been looking at this for a while and can't seem to figure out why there is no sound.

When I use the on screen keyboard in Kontakt player, the little VU meters on the right show that something is being produced by the player but there is no sound. Playing something using Adobe audition proves that the system is creating sound and that the problem is not in the sound drivers. Any ideas

James Brody

Dallas, TX

Re: Finale 2007 and GPO suddenly stop working together

I had that happen a few times after I had done some extensive editing or adding. Someone told me how it can be fixed by clicking the "reload midi driver" at the bottom of the Midi drop down menu, and that worked.

This was the last place i thought would fix the problem, because i was using GPO not the midi sounds, but apparently the midi driver is needed, and i guess something can make it need reloaded sometimes.

Hope that repairs your silence.

Don't know if it will help, but just in case....I am operating with Windows XP Media, and have been finding that whenever I closed PrintMusic (a Finale product) to do something else, and then went back & reopened PrintusicI couldn't get sound on playback. I was having to totally restart the computer to bring back the sound. So here's what I did that seems to have fixed it. I closed PrintMusic, went into Control Panel, then Component Services, then Services (Local) and scrolled down to Windows Audio. When the problem of no-sound playback was occurring, that local service Windows Audio had always stopped (don't know why). If I restarted it, when I reopened PrintMusic the sound would be back on. So yesterday I took it a step further - I double-clicked on Windows Audio and found a tab called Recovery, and told the machine that when there was a "first failure" of this Windows Audio service, to Restart it. So far this seems to have made the problem go away. Good luck.

I just got Finale 2007 w/GPO and have this kind of problem frequently. I thought I was the only one. It happens whether I'm working with a single instrument or a group of instruments, both total absence of sound and choppy, irregular sound. In the Finale 2007 User Manual, it says that if you're having problems with playback using GPO instruments, it's because the GPO is stressing and maxing out your system resources. That's it. It doesn't give any details or suggest any ways of actually fixing the issue (they need to work on that aspect of their documentation, IMHO). I'm running Win XP sp2 with 1.5gb of RAM, and I close down all other programs and processes, so I'm not sure what's getting maxed out.

The "Reload MIDI Driver" suggestion does help me, but I'd like to be able to have a permanent fix so that I can absolutely rely on a smooth playback for demo recording purposes. I'm wondering how common this issue is among Finale 2007/GPO users and what people have discovered in terms of addressing it (add more RAM?).

Dr. David R. Gaines, D.M.A.

Go Back to forum