• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A little orchestral sketch

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb A little orchestral sketch

I have noticed that a lot of people when using garritan personal orchestra don't put in the time and effort to make sure the settings allow for the most realistic performance. (Eg, they don't take time to put in all the necessary midi controler changes for best results). I have decided to post a small sniplet of a piece of music I am working on just to remind everybody what GPO is capable of doing if you put in the effort to program it properly.

http://mikemiller.dyndns.org/sketch.mp3

Ps. I am sorry if I came off as cocky in this post, as that was not my intent.

Re: A little orchestral sketch

Mike,

One thing I've noticed is that some posts suffer from the compression to mp3 - not sure why that is, but a lot of things sound better in GPO studio than they do when posted. My point is that what may appear to less attention to detail may be partly due to the loss when the file is converted.

Your piece has some great dynamic contrasts - the explosion 2/3 the way through was great! Please post the finished product when it's ready.

R. Pearl
    Last edited by rpearl; 01-21-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: signature issues...

nice work, but I think a lot of people here is making great use of GPO capabilities...

Roberto

Nice cinematic work there; but i have listened to just about the same quality rendering or even better here on the forum. You do have a very nice realistic sound though ... would like to hear more later.
    IMHO i have found that going with one company for the whole orchestra may not be the best decision for realism. I use only the GOS, and it's worth every penny.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Perhaps you should wait until you have been a member of this forum for TWO days before you critize the seasoned composers who have been a part of this group for years. How many compositions, posted on this forum, did you listen to before you made your judgement that "a lot of people when using garritan personal orchestra don't put in the time and effort to make sure the settings allow for the most realistic performance."

Also, there's more to life than "movie music". May we see a listing of your works? May we hear some full-length renditions of some of your compositions?

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Mike,
    Everyone who posts is working from different levels of equipment.
    For instance, when I have a complete ensemble of either orchestra or
    concert band, my playback is overwhelmed because of insufficient
    memory. I can see that some work with more than just a music program such as Finale. That probably enhances outcome, but I
    wouldn't know.
    Most people accept comments and can be helped by them, but
    a few act like you just "rained on their parade."
    Still, it's not enough †o say †hat something can be improved. You
    have to tell us how to do it.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Most people accept comments and can be helped by them, but a few act like you just "rained on their parade."
    I was merely commenting on the fact that this person was a member of this forum for one day and his first post was a criticism.

Your insulting comment is uncalled for. I don't appreciate it.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I have an idea!

I don't care whom started it, etc.. but people:

Let's all be nice to one another. If you have critisism, you're welcome to say so, but back it up with motives/proof. Be sure to don't offend people. You won't like it either, if one offends you!

We suppose to be friends here, not enemies.

There... and now on with the topic.

Nice composition, but somehow the song sounds a bit narrowed (no broad stereo). I could be my player (quicktime), it could be the recording/mixdown.
    But aside from that, it is nice to listen to.

Gosh - blog drama in a music forum.

My personal thought is that we all have vast room for improvement (even those of us who make coin of the realm for our efforts) and can afford to realize that comments, as music, are sometimes misunderstood.

On with the music already.

Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235
    I have noticed that a lot of people when using garritan personal orchestra don't put in the time and effort to make sure the settings allow for the most realistic performance. (Eg, they don't take time to put in all the necessary midi controler changes for best results). I have decided to post a small sniplet of a piece of music I am working on just to remind everybody what GPO is capable of doing if you put in the effort to program it properly.

http://mikemiller.dyndns.org/sketch.mp3

Ps. I am sorry if I came off as cocky in this post, as that was not my intent.
    Mike,

While it is true that there is much to do with GPO and the production of output, there is also great variance in how the work is produced, midi vs notation packages such as Finale (that I use). So the level of impact that can be "programmed" into a work is somewhat limited by the tool used to produce it. Also, some works don't lend themselves to it or even permit it. For example, a 17th century work is not likely to employ a driving percussion line, just as much as the Scherzo movement of Tchaikovsky's 4th Sym. is going to require cannons.

You example is interesting, albeit darn short. Maybe you can lay out some full scale productions that fit into this forum. Even include notes with suggestions on how to pull off some of the sonic effects.

My goal here to put out works and share these with the forum that demonstrate various aspects of the GPO and JABB libraries. It is fun for me and for most here. That is the prosepctive that you need to maintain as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast