• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I get separate IRQs for Audio and Video Cards

Share/Bookmark

How do I get separate IRQs for Audio and Video Cards

I have an All-in-wonder 7500 video card and a Midiman Audiophile 2496 audio card. No matter how many times I uninstall the audio card and reinstall it, Windows XP home edition puts them on the same IRQ. Before they were on IRQ 16. The folks at midiman told me to set my computer to standard (so I only have 15 irqs again). Now both devices are on IRQ 3. Is there a way to change this in XP? Thanks for any help.

Re: How do I get separate IRQs for Audio and Video Cards

You\'ll have to move your card around in your machine until you find a place where it doesnt share. If you can\'t do that, you can change some setting in BIOS to allocate certain IRQ\'s to certain PCI slots.

Hello Temps,

The default installation of Window XP uses an IRQ allocation mode called ACPI. This is a management system that uses shared IRQs which is fine for most consumer grade peripherals. But not for any kind of serious pro audio stuff, that\'s for sure. This will usually result in a device driver conflict. You need to use the Standard PC setup.

Here is a thread with a discussion on ACPI:

http://www.tascam.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22325&highlight=ACPI

Let us know how it goes,

Kevin

I recently built a new DAW running XP Pro using the new RME HDSP 9652. When I did some online searching and reading on the ACPI topic, I got the strong impression that ACPI should actually be left active on XP machines. It seems to have been improved a lot since Windows 2000.

From the RME site:
    \"Under Windows XP Microsoft has significantly improved both interrupt handling and ACPI. In most cases the interrupts will not be sharing IRQ 9. Even when, problems like with the above mentioned simultaneous network transmission are no longer found. Furthermore XP operates more reliable and stable using the ACPI mode. Therefore changing to Standard-PC mode under Windows XP is not recommended.

The worst thing to do is to use Standard-PC mode with the latest generation of single CPU motherboards, having an advanced programmable interrupt controller (APIC.) These boards offer 24 interrupts under Windows XP in ACPI mode (else found on dual CPU boards only) - but only 15 when using Standard-PC mode!\"

(http://www.rme-audio.de/english/faq/faqnewe.htm#Problems_with_single_CPU%20systems )
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">During my installations I once tried to get XP and the audio stuff running without it, which gave me a lot of trouble.

If you have only a few peripherals needing physical IRQ lines, don\'t disable it. Or, do a LOT of reading about this, as the opinions seem to be rather varied.

Success,

I have several XP machines running quite happily in ACPI mode.

I would, as Simon suggests, move the audio card to another slot. Very often the PCI slot closest to your gfx card AGP slot, will automaticly share IRQ with it.

You can also try forcing IRQ assignments in your motherboard\'s BIOS if it allows you to do so. The RME cards are unique in that they aren\'t finicky about having a dedicated IRQ, although as they say on their site, this really shouldn\'t be a selling point for modern day PCI cards!

Just be sure that when assigning IRQs to the PCI slots in BIOS that you also set the \"Plug and Play OS\" to \"No\" (provided you have AWARD BIOS) becuse otherwise Windows reassigns them according its own will anyway.
    Good Luck
    Ondrej

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far I have switched to Standard PC. In bios it will only switch both the Video and Audio cards simultaneously so I can only change both to a different IRQ and I have the same problem. Tonight I am going to try switching the video card to a far away pci slot (where my ethernet card is). I am hopeful. I\'ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for all the ideas.

Tonight I am going to try switching the video card to a far away pci slot (where my ethernet card is).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Might I humbly suggest you get an AGP video card and get it off the PCI bus? That is, if your motherboard has an AGP slot.

Kevin

Getting an AGP card instead of PCI is prolly not gonna help on the IRQ issue though, since AGP shares IRQ with one of the PCI slots.

Go Back to forum