• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tips on how to match orchestral inst. to midi file??

Share/Bookmark

Tips on how to match orchestral inst. to midi file??

In other words, I am working on a project where I am given a midi file
    and have to assign violins to one track, clarinet to another, etc. These are mostly orchestral instruments.

I'm having a difficult time matching the right attacks, releases with the midi file. Many times the instrument will have that "sucking" sound, which I'm assuming means the attack on the patch is too slow for the midi file. At times it just seems better to replay the part, rather than trying to match to the midi file.

Any tips on how to improve this process would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm using Digital Performer as my sequencer.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Tips on how to match orchestral inst. to midi file??

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetho
    In other words, I am working on a project where I am given a midi file
    and have to assign violins to one track, clarinet to another, etc. These are mostly orchestral instruments.

I'm having a difficult time matching the right attacks, releases with the midi file. Many times the instrument will have that "sucking" sound, which I'm assuming means the attack on the patch is too slow for the midi file. At times it just seems better to replay the part, rather than trying to match to the midi file.

Any tips on how to improve this process would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm using Digital Performer as my sequencer.

Thanks,

Tom
    Hi Tom,

it strongly depends on which library you are using. They have different systems so it would be easier to help you if you ask more specific.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Seriously if you haven't subscribed to VirtualInstument magazine you should NOw! It is full of great tutorials on Midi Mochups, with examples of works and how it was done.
    The question your asking would already be answered if you had a subscription to the mag.
    later
    StrangeCat
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Hello Hannes:

I'm using the Vienna Instruments, and Miroslav. For example, there was a Cello part that was fast repititions, and I worked on that for almost 2 hours.
    I'm using the Chamber Cellos, and it either sounded clipped too short or
    too loose where the releases were too long. I couldn't get a natural bowing
    sound.I tried the short detache, long, detache, staccato, and finally the spizacatto seemed to work the best, but still not right.

There has got to be an easier way to do this!

Thanks,

Tom

Go Back to forum