• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update on Note Audition feature

Share/Bookmark

Update on Note Audition feature

From our QA Director, Dr. Charles Gambetta:

Please let the folks on the Northern Sounds forum that Note Audition is on the calendar for release at about the beginning of June. That’s when the next update will complete its product development cycle. I know we have several NOTION fans who were disappointed when we could not include the feature in the 1.6 update. You might want to remind them that: 1) pitch and main sound “audition” are available if you use Step Time MIDI entry; and 2) NOTION’s playback is always at the ready. To start playback of a single staff without opening mixer, place the cursor in the measure where you wish to start and press COMMAND+SHIFT+CLICK on Macs and CRTL+SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK on PCs. Although not the same as “Note Audition,” these techniques offer useful alternatives while we complete work on the 1.6.1 program update.

Note audition sounds like an easy feature to add, but it is far from simple because NOTION’s playback engine is so powerful. Implementation will be limited to pitch and main sound for instruments included in the sample library (i.e. bundled sounds and installed sound kits) and piano for those instruments for which samples have not been installed. Have you gotten any posts from the forum that define user expectations for this feature? It would help us to know, for example, whether or not they be happy with General MIDI sounds or maybe just piano for all instruments. Would they be willing to accept a “slowdown” in performance when the note audition feature was running? I would welcome any other questions or suggestions as well.
    There you go, boys. Have at it.

Re: Update on Note Audition feature

for me note audition is no important feature
    massimo

" 1) pitch and main sound “audition” are available if you use Step Time MIDI entry; and 2) Notion's playback is always at the ready. To start playback of a single staff without opening mixer, place the cursor in the measure where you wish to start and press COMMAND+SHIFT+CLICK on Macs ..."

---

If this would play and stop the selection only (Not continuing) would be a big improvement / compromise. It's also worth noting that if you try to repeat this command it will first continue past the selection! (This also happens in regular play-from mm #) You need to repeat the command twice for the desired function to start at the correct place.

But, this is a nice feature I never read in any of the read me files. Thank you.

For me note audition has never been an issue either. If it is going to be such a large resource hog my request is that it be an optional feature.

The keyboard tip for playback is great. Thanks a bunch

Go Back to forum