• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jazz Band libraries

Share/Bookmark

Jazz Band libraries

I am about to start a project doing some back up tracks for a jazz singer in traditional big band style and was just wanting to get some opinions on libraries. I currently own the Garritan JABB, Quantum Leap Brass, the old Roland libraries, and am looking at purchasing the Chris Hein Horns and Screaming Trumpet libraries. (Also looking forward to WarpIV's sax library!) Are there any others I should consider, especially for realistic saxes? And what are your thoughts the different instrument sections in these libraries? Thanks!

Michael Borth

Re: Jazz Band libraries

The thread about Fable Sounds is where you need to be (about 4 threads down) I have the QL Brass Roland Jabb and all of these have bits and pieces of what you need. So far, based on demos and first hand accounts Fable Sounds will set a new,albeit expensive, standard.

No matter what library, saxes will give you the most trouble. I dont find CH horns believable at all but maybe something there might work as long as it's not exposed. QL Brass, though years old still sounds much better than Jabb or CH.

In truth, a realistic sound will be better realized w/ all of these libraries.Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I actually have seen the Fable Sounds site. With that high of a price tag I'll need to hear some reviews from users to believe it is as easy as it sounds. (The demos are definitely impressive, but also use a third of the instruments a real jazz band would. I will be curious to hear how it sounds when the one trumpet patch included is playing 3-4 parts, and how memory intensive a 16-20 piece band made of these instruments is.) Are there any other sax libraries worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by musikmik
    The demos are definitely impressive, but also use a third of the instruments a real jazz band would. I will be curious to hear how it sounds when the one trumpet patch included is playing 3-4 parts, and how memory intensive a 16-20 piece band made of these instruments is.)
    If you have JABB and QL Brass, you could always use these to fatten up the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by musikmik
    Are there any other sax libraries worth considering?
    I have not heard any that sound as realistic as BBB. Other options are Yellow Tools Candy and Bigga Giggas John Rekevics Saxophone library.

Another thing you might want to note about BBB is that it WILL NOT be available as seperate sections.

Read about it here:

http://www.fablesounds.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0

And don't forget to register your protest

Regards,

Ben H

very cool piece(Splanky) Probably the best I've heard out of Jabb.

The sax solo- uh... welllll......again, saxes are the most difficult to pull off. Fortunately, that solo had few difficult to sample articulations and was fairly simple yet remained the most sampled sounding element in the piece aside from the ride cymbal.

But fantastic demo from Jabb. Michael, Get fable sounds and you are covered for a long time.

edit- forgot to mention - VSl's new sax libray shows some promise.
    Last edited by artsoundz; 01-22-2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: old brain

Go Back to forum