• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NAMM Report #3 - How the Show Went for Us

Share/Bookmark

NAMM Report #3 - How the Show Went for Us

I left Orcas Island Tuesday in another snow storm (the weather this year has been quite strange) and arrived Tuesday night.

We set up all day Wednesday. As usual Murphy's Law was operational, some things didn't arrive and some things did not work, but eventually all the wrinkles got ironed out.

Our little Oasis at NAMM -NAMM is very hectic and chaotic and we wanted to create a calm oasis in the midst of the pandemonium. So this year our booth set up was a comfy Sofa, a fireplace and noise canceling headphones (courtesy of Extreme Headphones) listening to wonderful music. People certainly liked the atmosphere and the opportunity to escape briefly, really relax and see and hear what we were doing. Some people just didn’t want to leave!

The Electronic Musician Editor's Choice Awards were Wednesday night. Tom Hopkins went to receive the award for the Jazz and Big Band library. Congratulations to VSL, Native Instruments (Akoustic) and Cakewalk for winning awards.

Before the show we had breakfast with Steve Oppenheimer and a group of blind musicians organized by Mike Mandell. Also attending the breakfast was Scott Wilkinsen and his wife Joanna, both writers for EM, Jerry Halityn composer engineer, Gordon Kent, Musician and Dancing Dots support, Cevin and Pam Gibbs. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss ways making music technology more accessible to the visually impaired. There's a lot that is needed in this area and we are working towards making our new sampler easier for the blind.

Thursday was the first full day at NAMM and it started out with a bang. First a meeting with Roger Brown, President of Berklee College of Music and Stephen Croes, Dean of Music Technology and Kurt Biederwolf, Chair of the Music Synthesis Department at Berklee College of Music. We discussed many things about the upcoming year with a number of visits to Berklee planned. After the Berklee meeting I met with Steinway and Sons. We showed our new sample player for the Authorized Steinway Piano and they seemed very pleased. The user interface was designed by Steinway's graphics people and is very elegant and easy to use. Next I had lunch with Martin and Sascha from Native Instruments. We reaffirmed our relationship and talked about future projects together. After lunch I had a meeting with the folks at Finale to discuss various upcoming projects. Afterwards there were meetings with Muse Research and Cakewalk. I also met with Woody from Mackie. At NAMM Mackie was showing the Personal Orchestra for Tracktion and announced the bundling of Personal Orchestra with all Mackie products. We briefly attended a Cakewalk party as well as an Electronic Musician's party after the show and then had a nice leisurely dinner with team Garritan.

Friday was just as busy as the previous day. After another meeting with Steinway we met with a number of distributors and press people. People were impressed with our new player and the sound and playability of the Steinway piano. We also met with future partners for upcoming projects (more on that in the months ahead).

Saturday was the busiest day of all. I met mostly with editors and other press people. We also met with international distributors and other future partners (one very large concern) who were very impressed with our new drag and drop technology. We had another dinner with our team on Saturday night and discussed upcoming libraries.

Sunday morning I attended a MIDI Manufacturers Association meeting. MMA President Tom White presided over the morning's Annual Meeting. Some good things are coming - especially with high definition MIDI. I later had a meeting with Yamaha and another get-together with Native Instruments. We met with some technology partners and then with another major magazines and our UK distributor Time and Space.

Had a chance to meet Stevie Wonder and some of his team and was pleased to learn they use our sounds. We also had the opportunity to see Jeff Pilson from Foreigner, Scott Totten from the Beach Boys, Terry Lawless from U2, Scott Warren from Black Sabbath, Kerry Livgrren from Kansas, Guy Allison from the Doobie Brothers, Ming who plays with Yanni, Mark Isham, Jeff Beal, David Schwartz, Eimear Noone and Michael Andreas from the LA Ballet, George Sanger (Fatman), Michelle Moog, and many others.

Helping us us at our booth was Jim Ortner (Haydn) at our satelite booth, Jeannot, Jeff Hurchalla, Tom Hopkins, Amy Jones, and David and Seb from Plogue. Many thanks for the outstanding job they did.

What a busy show. With 35 scheduled meetings (which did not include all the unscheduled visits and meetings) it was nonstop excitement. New technologies, new partners, wider distribution, strengthening existing relationships, seeing many friends and forum members - the show could not have gone any better.

2007 is shaping up to be our best year yet!

I'll be posting some pictures soon. Good to be back.

Gary Garritan

Re: NAMM Report #3 - How the Show Went for Us

What a great report Gary, thanks for updating us.

Sounds like very promising things for Garritan Products.
    Dan

Yeah, what DPDAN said ... and more. Can't wait to see the pics! OK, I'll wait ... a bit ... but not too long ya hear!

You definitely must have a clone machine at Orcas Island. You were every where and saw everything! I'm impressed at the all that went on at NAMM!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

First, congratulations on such excellent results. Am really looking forward to your future plans materializing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

Before the show we had breakfast with Steve Oppenheimer and a group of blind musicians organized by Mike Mandell. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss ways making music technology more accessible to the visually impaired. There's a lot that is needed in this area and we are working towards making our new sampler easier for the blind.

Gary Garritan
    Although recently returned to the world of sample libraries (i.e. still just beginning to learn, and relearn), one issue in particular has presented me with real difficulties. Even using significant on-screen magnification, the small font sizes in the Garritan player remain problematic for the severely visually impaired and a real source of eyestrain (primarily due to the NI design). Personally, I can only work with the GPO player for a very short period of time as a result.

Undoubtedly the difficulty you face with player design is balancing the amount screen real estate the player requires vs. ease of use. One solution might be to allow for the use of a variety of font sizes within the player. This would allow the majority of users to utilize very small fonts allowing the player itself to take up less room and be more visually efficient, while those of us with visual difficulties could use greatly magnified fonts. Some control over font color and background color would also potentially be helpful and a wonderful bonus.

A further difficulty for those with severe visual difficulties (read legally blind but not total), is the inability to see more than a few square inches of the screen at a time. It is extremely easy to miss items that are actually of vital importance. The work around is to do things extra slowly, and try to hunt for things on the screen before hitting "enter".

Anyway, just a few initial thoughts.

HTH

Jim

One real positive with the player that I forgot to mention is that I have found the overall color scheme of the NI based player to be excellent, and not fatiguing at all (though issues with color can vary quite widely from person to person depending on the nature of the visual impairment being dealt with).

Jim

The drag and drop UI could be awesome for the visually impaired (though not the totally blind) with a small number of improvements, like being able to size the whole thing up.

I'm sure that the representatives offered many excellent suggestions.

Congratulations on a great show. It looks like you are on a growth path and I know how paradoxically energizing and exhausting it can be.

Trade shows and conferences are a great way to establish and maintain relationships. But they sure do take a lot out of you.

Best wishes for a productive and profitable year. I am impressed by the quality of the Garritan products I have purchased and look forward to seeing what you have in the pipeline.

Charlie

Smile Re: NAMM Report #3 - How the Show Went for Us

Gary, you amaze me on how you do it all and you do it all so well. Congrats on a successful NAMM convention. I know how important such gatherings are as I attend several a year in my line of business. They are probably the most exhausting events of the year. You seem to do the work of 3 people!

Watching Garritan Libraries grow is no less than amazing. Building a business and products that you believe in and that makes a difference in the world is a very fulfilling experience.

Here's to a highly successful 2007!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thumbs up Re: NAMM Report #3 - How the Show Went for Us

Hey Gary - congrats on a great show. It was great to visit everyone from Garritan, fleeting though it was. You had a very cool, very unconventional layout. I'm recommending to Arturia that they move back next door to you again - those couches were THA BOMB! (and the products were incredible too)

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum