• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loading sounds into Jabb and GPO players via midi

Share/Bookmark

Loading sounds into Jabb and GPO players via midi

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to load specific samples into an instance of Jabb and/or GPO when I open up a sequence. I am hosting both Jabb and GPO in my sequencer (Midi Maestro).

To clarify, I am trying to load up multiple instances of GPO and put all the string sounds I need in one instance, all the chromatic percussion in another, etc.

I have been loading all the instruments by hand every time I start things up, but as the number of instruments loaded increases, it becomes more time consuming and more complex to do this by hand. Is there a midi sys-ex command or other midi control that I can use to automate this loading of the samples?

Thanks in advance,
    Kenny Long

Re: Loading sounds into Jabb and GPO players via midi

Your sequencer should save that information with the song file. If you commonly use particular combinations of instruments then I would suggest saving songfiles as custom "templates" so that you have quick and easy starting points for projects (e.g. KL Chamber Orchestra 1, KL full Orchestra 1, KL Full Orchestra 2, etc.) In any case, the load information should automatically be saved with the sequencer file and reload when you open that file. Using templates also has the advantage of allowing you to save other setup data (relative volumes, panning, aux send levels, reverb plugin settings, etc.) in advance.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I guess this is an issue with Midi Maestro.

Based on your response, I am guessing that the interface for loading instruments is somewhere in the DLL code and it is not exposed to the midi side of the world; therefore the hosting application has to handle the storage and retrieval of this information - is that correct?

Just wants to have my facts together when I talk to the Midi Maestro folks.

Thanks again for the quick response,
    Kenny Long

I use Sonar, and do exactly as Tom described, saving templates for projects to call up which have all my loaded Kontact players ready to go.

One caveat--When I first started using GPO, I was using Cubase LE as my sequencer. In that program, the saved and loaded Kontacts would come up, but the user didn't have the option to have them on "stand by" or not. Meaning, when the template was opened, all of the Kontacts slowly loaded the entire set up (average of six instances with 8 instruments each)--and my computer would be maxed out before I could start working.

With Sonar, the saved configurations can be on idle--meaning the VSTs are disconnected. The templates open instantly because the pre-programmed Kontacts aren't automatically loaded. I can pick and choose which Kontact I want to activate for the project--then when I push the activation button in the VST Rack, the stored lay out Then loads. Much better system.

ONE MORE THING--Not only do I use complex GPO and/or JABB layouts in Sonar templates, but I also use the window there in the Kontact player to save presets, labelled logically--So even if I'm not using a template, I can open the pre-set window in a Kontact instance and choose a lay out That way.

---These things always end up sounding more complicated when they really are, when a description of the process is attempted.---

Randy
    rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Long
    Based on your response, I am guessing that the interface for loading instruments is somewhere in the DLL code and it is not exposed to the midi side of the world; therefore the hosting application has to handle the storage and retrieval of this information - is that correct?
    Correct. The Kontakt 1.5 player does not respond to bank or patch changes for loading from MIDI.

Tom

Just a quick update, it turns out that Midi Maestro does store the settings - you just have to tell it to do so explicitly. Thanks for all the feedback.

Go Back to forum