• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quick HD question: Buffer size make a difference?

Share/Bookmark

Quick HD question: Buffer size make a difference?

Hello everyone,

I'm running into problems with my Maxtor MaXLine Plus II internal SATA HD which I only use for sample playback, and long story short, it will need to be replaced.

When looking at the specs for this drive, I was surprised to see that it only has an 8mb buffer, when other drives I was looking at, i.e. seagate, had 16mb buffers.

As sample based composers, does buffer size make a difference in the ability to stream sample libs? If I upgrade this drive to a "16mb buffer" model, will I notice a difference? Note: I'm should still under warranty, and will probably get a replacement 8mb model, thus if I "upgrade" it will be another investment.

THANKS in advance for your reply!

Re: Quick HD question: Buffer size make a difference?

No. The way the firmware uses the buffer (whether it's optimized for desktop vs server usage patterns) can matter for something, but not when it comes to streaming.

I was told by the sales guy that my glyph drives only use a 2 meg buffer and that the lower buffer is better for audio. I can't prove either statement to be true - but you might find that an interesting bit of knowledge

I would suspect that CPU is still going to be the bottle neck for a few more years.

Go Back to forum