• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wind Machines Pitch

Wind Machines Pitch

I dont know exactly where to post this question, so here i go:

In GPO you have a "Wind Machine". I hadnt opportunity to know any of this "wind machines" personally, so i dont know really how they work.
    I noted that changing the "tune" knob in kontakt player (higher pitch, lower, etc) you have a nice "wind effect". B
    But, i want to know two things:
    1-Real Wind Machines, can do that (change the pitch)?
    2-How is that notated?

Marcelo Colina

Re: Wind Machines Pitch

Hi Marcelo,
    a real wind machine is cranked by hand, the slower you crank the lower the pitch. Typically, the percussionist cranks the handle at a medium speed and cranks faster for more intense sound.

Regarding notation, see the scores to Ralph Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antarctica and Michael Tippet's Symphony No. 4. In both scores, the wind machine is notated as an unpitched instrument on a single line. Pitch changes are actually notated as dynamics, with piano indicating a slow cranking, and therefore a quieter dynamic and a lower pitch, and forte of course indicating the opposite. Crescendos and diminuendos are used pretty much constantly.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks to Dan&Dan!

Your info is very good and helpfull.

Only thing i miss is to see it. I search in the web some pic of "orchestral wind machine" but no luck.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu

Thanks! The other "thunder" and "rain" machines looks interesting too.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum