• Register
  • Help

Topic: 6-sec drum loop base for all hip-hop - dance etc (more or less...)

Share/Bookmark

6-sec drum loop base for all hip-hop - dance etc (more or less...)

YouTube - Video explains the world's most important 6-sec drum loop

It is SIMPLY INCREDIBLE!

It's amazing! I didn't know this!

Now it's 18 minutes, but it's really worth watching this (and posting here afterwards).

What do you think of this really?

(BTW, lovely breakbeat... Might use it sometime... )

Re: 6-sec drum loop base for all hip-hop - dance etc (more or less...)

It is the Amen Break. Good stuff.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Interesting video, but I have a quick question.

Now my understanding of copyright is limited, but it is my understanding that you cannot copyright a "break" or beat, just like you cant copyright a chord progression. What you CAN copyright is the original recording of said beat or progression. Thus it is perfectly legal to use a break that SOUNDS like the "Amen break" if YOU produce it yourself, and not rip it from their recording without permission.

If this is indeed true, to me, this doesn't stifle creativity or "culture" as the video claims. You can still "build upon the past" but its up to you to supply the bricks. I've heard plenty of "sound-a-likes" in this field of media music, which were CLEARLY influenced by already existing materials, yet were not infringing upon copyright. Its a grey area for sure, and perhaps the point that "stringent copyright laws are just as harmful as no copyright laws" is valid, but it seems our current system does allow for culture to build upon the past, while protecting artists intellectual property from blatant theft.

Interesting though the issues sample technology has created, for even if its "cut and dry" illegal to sample someone else's material without permission, if you processes it enough, it becomes something completely new and unrecognizable from the original. From a legal standpoint, this is still breaking copyright law, yet if they cannot identify where it comes from, how do they expect to press charges?

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Interesting video, but I have a quick question.

Now my understanding of copyright is limited, but it is my understanding that you cannot copyright a "break" or beat, just like you cant copyright a chord progression. What you CAN copyright is the original recording of said beat or progression. Thus it is perfectly legal to use a break that SOUNDS like the "Amen break" if YOU produce it yourself, and not rip it from their recording without permission.

If this is indeed true, to me, this doesn't stifle creativity or "culture" as the video claims. You can still "build upon the past" but its up to you to supply the bricks. I've heard plenty of "sound-a-likes" in this field of media music, which were CLEARLY influenced by already existing materials, yet were not infringing upon copyright. Its a grey area for sure, and perhaps the point that "stringent copyright laws are just as harmful as no copyright laws" is valid, but it seems our current system does allow for culture to build upon the past, while protecting artists intellectual property from blatant theft.
    That is correct.

Thanks for letting me know I got it right BTW, does RMX have an "amen style" break patch/multi? Just curious.

It's a very important loop, but I don't think it's *the* most important drum loop, nor do I think it's really the base of hip hop or dance.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    It's a very important loop, but I don't think it's *the* most important drum loop, nor do I think it's really the base of hip hop or dance.
    True, but it's certainly in the top 5 of "Most used breaks" and definitely the most important one in Drum 'n Bass.

You could do a similar documentary on "The Funky Drummer" loop too.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Thanks for letting me know I got it right BTW, does RMX have an "amen style" break patch/multi? Just curious.
    There are some "Amen" type grooves in the faster Drum 'n Bass sections of RMX and also on the Metamorphosis Xpander...all completely original created though. ;-)

Go Back to forum