• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Nocturn" For Strings - Borodin

Share/Bookmark

"Nocturn" For Strings - Borodin

The work "Nocturn" is the theme taken from the 3rd Movement of String Quartet No. 2 by Alexander Borodin. To me it is one of the most profoundly beautiful works for string ensemble. This rendering was produced from a midi file download of unknown origin. I imported it into Finale 2006 and cleaned it up hopefully obtaining a faithful reproduction of the original work.

The GPO instruments are as follows; Violins 1 & 2, Violas, Cellos and Basses.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/BorodinNocturn.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: "Nocturn" For Strings - Borodin

OK Gary,

You've convinced me. It is possible to get a good rendering from GPO using notation alone. Well done. How long did it take you to "touch it up"?

Cheers,
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Long
    OK Gary,

You've convinced me. It is possible to get a good rendering from GPO using notation alone. Well done. How long did it take you to "touch it up"?

Cheers,
    Kenny
    Kenny,

I think that I worked on it a few evenings. There are a lot of grace notes that to midi plays fine but importing it gets sort of ugly. That was the biggest part of the work. It has to do with how Finale or any other notation program choosed to quantify the time values. Plus there was one section in the cello where the whole section was shifted over 1 beat. So I re-entered it. But in the end it is a labor of love!!

Incidently, I own the full GPO and not the Finale bundled GPO. So I have string sections for 1st and 2nd violins. I believe that the Finale bundles GPO does not have this.

I am glad that you enjoyed this work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

What I beautiful piece. Your rendering was very nice. What reverb did you use? Did you build string ensembles? It sounds like a fairly good size string section.
    -Jay

Gary,

I agree this is one of the great string ensemble pieces - even works well as the quartet for which is was originally scored. This rendering is quite good - the violas are especially nice. Some of the high strings get a static for me - that is a hard one to solve (I know I haven't). Did you weave solo instruments in with the sections (sounds like the violas are only solo instruments?)?
    Thanks for doing this. It's a very nice reminder of a piece that is gorgeous, but often forgotten.

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    What I beautiful piece. Your rendering was very nice. What reverb did you use? Did you build string ensembles? It sounds like a fairly good size string section.
    -Jay
    Jay,

I am glad that you like the work. I have the full GPO (not the Finale bundled GPO) which provides string ensembles for both Violin 1 & 2 as well as the viola, cello and bass. they do have a lovely sound. I use the built in Ambience pretty much at the default values and no external processing.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Gary,

I agree this is one of the great string ensemble pieces - even works well as the quartet for which is was originally scored. This rendering is quite good - the violas are especially nice. Some of the high strings get a static for me - that is a hard one to solve (I know I haven't). Did you weave solo instruments in with the sections (sounds like the violas are only solo instruments?)?
    Thanks for doing this. It's a very nice reminder of a piece that is gorgeous, but often forgotten.

All the best.
    Ron,

I am glad that you enjoyed the rendering. I heard this many years ago on a Philadelphia Phil. recording and always loved the thought of finding it and bringing to life again.

I know what you mean about the high violins, they are definately up there. I use the full GPO library and therefore have string sections for violin 1 & 2. I only used the string sections and no solo strings anywhere including the violas.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Nice - Borodin is one of my favs. Have you considered getting the Garritan Stradivari and or the new gofriller cello (out soon I think) think what you could do with the solo work in this piece!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Ron,

I am glad that you enjoyed the rendering. I heard this many years ago on a Philadelphia Phil. recording and always loved the thought of finding it and bringing to life again.

I know what you mean about the high violins, they are definately up there. I use the full GPO library and therefore have string sections for violin 1 & 2. I only used the string sections and no solo strings anywhere including the violas.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Gary,

If your processor can handle a few morre instruments, you might try adding a few solo strings - they have a slightly different vibrato, and help add a warmth to the overall sound; at least I think they do(could be wrong - I leave that for others to decide...).
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry
    Nice - Borodin is one of my favs. Have you considered getting the Garritan Stradivari and or the new gofriller cello (out soon I think) think what you could do with the solo work in this piece!
    Glad that you enjoyed this work. I agree that many of Borodin's works are not often performed. I am a big fan of his first two symphonies!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast