• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 3 anybody?

Gigastudio 3 anybody?

I am thinking of buying Gigastudio 3 for use in Sonar 5.

Any advice?

Re: Gigastudio 3 anybody?

My experience has been that Giga is very unstable in Sonar 5 (I have both programs). The best way to run Giga is on a separate computer where it can command all the resources. Trying to run both on the same machine has led to many problems for many users. Search these forums and the Sonar forum on Cakewalk's website and you'll see what I mean.

Having said that, Tascam does offer GVI, a VSTi version of the program, and that might be a better solution, but, again, do your research ahead of time.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

I use GS3 and Sonar on the same PC without problems. I also have Vegas and ACID on that PC, and sometimes use ACID as the sequencer.

The key is to build a rock solid PC and use well supported chips, cards and drivers.

It's a bit dated now, but you can do a search on "systemsthatwork", and you'll see what has and hasn't worked well for GS3.

And, yes, GVI is the safer purchase, if you're worried about incompatibilities. It doesn't use kernel-mode processing, so it's more forgiving.

I use GS3 & GVI with Sonar 6 PE.
    My experience is that Sonar 6 is much more stable than Sonar 5.
    I had very less crashes caused by GS3. I use it together with Sonar mostly in the stand allone mode. Rewire is a little bit problematically with Sonar.
    Interesting enough not with forte!

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

I also use GS3 in standalone, rather than Rewire.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    I am thinking of buying Gigastudio 3 for use in Sonar 5.

Any advice?

I just got GS3 and I have it on a dedicated machine on the rewire mode with giga teleport. I use it with cubase sx.
    i love it... it's great.

Pacific Northwest

I recall reading about a bug a couple months ago where GVI would not respond to (I think it was) patch changes in Sonar.

If thinking about going with Tascam's GVI, you may wish to research that issue to see what the current situation is.

I have Giga 3 and GVI. No problems.

In all fairness have you considered Kontakt? You will find more libraries for it and imports other formats.

Los Angeles

I have GS3 and Sonar 5. No Problems. I was having crashes routinely until I removed the AOL software from my computer with all its security features. I don't know why this is. I just know that I have not had a single crash since removing AOL.
    David M.

Thanks everybody for the helpful replies. After reading them all, I'm going to hold off for the time being. I have Halion 3 which originally gave me trouble, but the latest update seems better able to cope with gig files. I'll experiment with that before I make up my mind.

Go Back to forum