I’ve composed a dramatic stage musical, and it’s been my primary project for several years now.
At one point I had recorded a demo version of the full two hours of music for the show, but then I discovered GPO and went about re-doing the entire thing—inspired by the excellent sound of the Personal Orchestra.
Adapting my files to GPO took me over a year to do, but it was well worth the effort. Along the way, I found myself expanding and honing my arrangements, since I now had a better way of discovering how the score would actually be played in a live situation.
The instrumental tracks I’ve now produced have two functions: As backing tracks for a recording with vocalists (my next big project), and as a “virtual orchestra” to be used in a live production at a small theatre.
The show’s form is closer to Opera than it is to Broadway, but has elements of both. There is dialogue, but often underscored, so that music is almost continuous throughout the piece. Entire scenes are sometimes set to music, so that taken as a whole, the show isn’t so much a series of songs as an impressionist soundscape through which the story is told.
The score is for full orchestra, piano, rock/jazz drum set, acoustic guitar, electric guitar and synthesizers.
Here is the link to a Windows Media Audio file (compromising sound quality, of course) for the show’s opening, “Prelude.”
Sketch of this opening number:
--Sun rising on a street in London, circa 1880. Citizens of all classes start filling the street: the well-to-do, street vendors, prostitutes.
“Prelude” is a chorus number, featuring contrapuntal melodies, solos, and dance.
FOOTNOTE: Over a year ago I was briefly on the GPO Forum, until technical difficulties prevented me from logging on. At that time I posted my first GPO version of “Prelude.” I still had much to learn about using the program, and there was one very helpful response to that post—that I needed “a good dose of smooooth.” After hundreds of hours more of working with the program, I feel confident in using GPO, and think at the very least I’ve managed to use bigger doses of “smooooth.”
I’m very happy to finally be sharing some of my original work here.