• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can Kontakt 2, with scripts, do everything that a Kurzweil K2600 can do?

Share/Bookmark

Can Kontakt 2, with scripts, do everything that a Kurzweil K2600 can do?

Trying to determine if we've reached the point at which software can do just about anything:

1. Does Kontakt, using scripts, have all of the same objects, and the same abiltity to modify everything by anything, as a recent Kuzweil?

Or:

2. Yes, but the scripts require too much work, compared to setting a few parameters in a recent Kurzweil.
    3. We don't know, because no one has the time to explore both thoroughly enough to determine how they compare.

Re: Can Kontakt 2, with scripts, do everything that a Kurzweil K2600 can do?

I cannot compare to Kurzweil but I would describe the abilities of Kontakt 2 scripts like this:
    • They can get/set practically every parameter in parameter in Kontakt that is also possible to modulate/automate.
    • They can detect, generate or filter note-on and note-off:s and controller messages (which will possibly influence modulation/automation)
    • You can use scripts to set note number, velocity, panning, tuning and volume for each note individually. The three latter parameters have a quite high resolution.
    Scripts have no awareness of program change nor any after-touch which is a limitation. I hope this helps.
    Btw. the syntax extensions to the script language I made in my script editor/compiler helps one to manage complexity when writing large scripts.

Regards,
    Nils

Well, it is still hard to compare K2 and K2600 :-)

When I first used K2 (after K1.5) I thought we are there - but I am not that sure anymore.

VAST is still great and although K2 is modular - soundwise I would still say that VAST is a lot superior. Also there is no synthetic sound generation/FM etc. engine in K2 - everythings originates from samples.
    Concerning the modulations - Well, one the one side Kontakt has much more possibilities to shoot with modulation at something, but all the funs are not really there in K2. And scripts do not help a lot there because you cannot route mod sources to scripts. Also Modulation with a via/SC control is still a long way to go in Kontakt. (and scripts can do a specific kind of modulation, but they still have limited access - especially to mod routings, etc. and they cannot do all kinds of modulations) It would actually be interesting to see what happens if you output a 10 ms stream form a script - I do not think that it would be that efficient - and as they use ints instead of floats everything that small will get a lot of round errors. i
    I tried with quantisation to small time values - I ended up with hitting the wrong beat here and then :-)

Feel free to get more specific ....

hope that helps

best

I was curioius because I recently discovered that Kontakt can't modulate the ADSR envelope through velocity, unless you use a script. (And I don't really know that it can do it with scripts--I haven't had the time to try.) Makes me both wonder if Kontakt will add basic features like this or if everything will be left to scripts, and at the same time wonder if, given scripts, almost anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    I recently discovered that Kontakt can't modulate the ADSR envelope through velocity, unless you use a script.
    Try right-clicking on one of the ahdsr knobs.

Egg on face. (But I had to add a modulator beneath the AHDSR. Using version 2.0, which apparently doesn't give any result from right clicking on the knobs.) Thanks, regardess. You led me to search harder for a way to do it.

(bump)

I'm surprised that this thread has had so few responses. No on has much experience in both soft samplers and the K2600? Or interest...?

I've been a Kurzweil user for a long time, but never got further than the K2000. I've been quite deep into the programming of the K (once wrote a tutorial about FUNs in german: http://www-lehre.inf.uos.de/~mhalbrue/kurzweil2.htm).
    Since I have Kontakt, I use the Kurzweil quite seldom.

Concerning your question: There are of course things that the Kurz can do easily but that are hard to get from K2 (let's say: an envelope with six phases that loops back and forth). BUT: I don't need this stuff too often. Most of the time, I wan't to play a nice piano...

Greetings
    Marc
    http://kurzfiler.sourceforge.net

Go Back to forum