• Register
  • Help

Topic: what instrument? - Narnia movie

Share/Bookmark

what instrument? - Narnia movie

What type of flute/instrument was used for when Mr.Tumnis the faun was playing at the beggining of the show when lucy meets him in narnia.

Re: what instrument? - Narnia movie

I believe it an electric violin you hear when they first meet in the woods, than later when Tumnus plays a lullaby, you hear the sound of a duduk.

Quote Originally Posted by locash
    What type of flute/instrument was used for when Mr.Tumnis the faun was playing at the beggining of the show when lucy meets him in narnia.
    I really like that fire side chat scene, its one of my favorite scenes. Yes, its the duduk, that gives such magical and mystical sound. I believe its a very old Armenian instrument. I've heard it play live before and it does, in my opinion, have that mysterious and magical quality to it.
    Last edited by ddarwin7; 01-29-2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: text change

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy B.
    I believe it an electric violin you hear when they first meet in the woods, than later when Tumnus plays a lullaby, you hear the sound of a duduk.
    Exactly!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duduk

ya i love the tone and vibe of that thing. is there any libraries that have a good duduk in it? I see that QL RA has it.....i should have got that library when it was like 60% off (i think it was that low). Any other cheaper libraries with it in it?
    thanks.

A higher pitched duduk. RA has a fairly nice one - though, I'm not sure it has the range of the higher instrument used in the film. World Winds by Illio also has a duduk in their library - but I never really liked the sound of that duduk. The basic duduk is in the key of A. BelaD may put a duduk on their next ethnic wind collection.

I have a lesson for elementary kids where I perform on various ethnic wind instruments. When I play the duduk for them and explain its the same instrument played by Mr. Tumnus in Narnia, I get looks of suspicion - it doesn't look like Mr. Tumnus' instrument. Once I play it though, the light bulb goes on.

Go Back to forum