• Register
  • Help

Topic: Soundcard woes - Any ideas

Share/Bookmark

Soundcard woes - Any ideas

I have a Delta 1010Lt soundcard. Soon after I installed it the output to my right front speaker started failing. If I twiddled with the appropriate line from the breakout it occasionally came back, so I assumed there was a loose connection somewhere. I bought a replacement for the whole breakout, and the problem went away.

Then tonight I went in my studio and the output to the left front speaker is gone (on the new breakout). Does anyone else run this soundcard and have a similar issue?

I'm completely stumped. The issue is complicated by the fact that my CMOS battery seems to have started dying - I just started getting error messages, and had to change a whole load of BIOS settings before the machine would load windows. At the moment I'm hoping that they're separate issues, but that may mean I have a soundcard that's blowing output channels.

Re: Soundcard woes - Any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    ...Delta 1010Lt ...output to my right front speaker started failing....left front speaker is gone...anyone else...similar issue?
    Have had. It was always bad audio cable, even when I thought it couldn't possibly be.

Swap your wires around to find the blinky one. Don't get any more of those spaghetti-plate breakout things unless every other conceivable course of action has failed. They don't go bad.

The CMOS battery is pure co-incidence and shouldn't affect the M-Audio stuff. You could reload the Delta drivers to cover all bases if you wanted. But it's not that. It's a cable.

I presume you replaced the RCA cables?

Ernie

I have a 1010LT and have never had any problem with the breakout cables or channels going out on me.

Like others have said check all your speaker wiring. Also make sure no cables are getting bent at sharp angles as this can cause wires to short out over time.

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    I have a 1010LT and have never had any problem with the breakout cables or channels going out on me.
    Likewise, that's why I asked about the connecting cables. RCA cables tend to be on the cheap side.

Ernie

Thanks guys.

I have swapped the RCA cables, or at least swapped them around, and it's always the same channel that doesn't work, whichever RCA cable is coming from it. And so far I've been really careful about making sure all the cables come straight out of the back of the card, and are under no tension.

I'm still managing to work though. Because I don't actually do any surround work at the moment, I've simply taken outputs 3 and 4 to my front speakers, and reassigned the master buss in Cubase to those channels.

This may be too basic (you sound thorough in your investigation). But did you make sure nothing is wrong in that complicated Delta Contol Panel? I have remembered I have had a similar problem, only to find the channel had mysteriously got muted in the Monitor Mixer tab.

The Patch Bay/Router tab can be a trouble spot, too, if the channel output is being sent off into unmonitored space somehow.

Thanks for your efforts Iallis, but I think this may just be down to a broken soundcard.

The problem continues to get wierder. As I said, when output 1 stopped playing I took the RCA cables from outputs 3 and 4 to my front speakers instead of 1 and 2, and bussed the main output of Cubase to outputs 3 and 4. This worked great for a while. Then I booted up today, having changed nothing at all, to find that sound was only coming from my right speaker.

Just out of interest I sent the output of Cubase to channels 1 and 2, to see whether output 1 had suddenly come back. Currently channels 1 and 2 are going to my rear speakers (I had to plug the RCA cables into something just to keep them dust free), so I was quite surprised when the sound came from front left and centre. (especially since front left was quite happily playing channel 3 last night.) Nothing is changed in the M-Audio control panel.

So it would seem it never was a cable problem. When output 1 appeared to be broken it was because the signal was being routed to the wrong cable. The problem is that the routing appears to change itself at random, sometimes in the middle of working.

Either this is a crap driver (which can't be the problem, since nobody else seems to have the problem) or a short circuit on the soundcard, or (and I'd rather it wasn't) a bussing problem on my motherboard. Now I think about it, a similar thing used to happen with my old Emagic surround card on the same machine. That only had 5.1 outputs, which were all connected, so the sound never went missing, it just came out of random speakers. So maybe I need to swap the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    ...but I think this may just be down to a broken soundcard.
    ...Either this is a crap driver (which can't be the problem...

Right. Decidedly non-crap. Delta drivers are among the best behaved.

Before pitching it into the woods you might try another version of the 1010 drivers. Not necessarily a newer one, just different. This is frankly a shot in the dark, but it's something I might do when approaching wit's end. A 1010 is like an anvil. Hard to imagine one failing, but surely it must happen.

As mentioned above, some other Windows program could be buggering with your outputs, so that's something else to check on. Another long shot, unhappily; if that's what's happening, the system will likely do the same to a new soundcard.

Go Back to forum