• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Selling MP3's online

Question Selling MP3's online

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what's the best solution for selling MP3's (my music) on my website. Who are the best?

my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Selling MP3's online

I'd recommend CDBaby.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration

Zen-Cart. Of course, I prefer the traditional method of selling them from a cardboard box alongside an abandoned rural country road. If I'm lucky, I might be able to sell one!
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

You might also look at myspace.com. They have an arrangement of some kind for you to sell your music online through them.

West Seneca, NY

Although I haven't sold CD's on line I second CDbaby. I've heard good reports from several who have.

I've been selling my CDs on CDBaby for a year or so now and more recently have signed up for their digital distribution and am actually selling more mp3s than CDs.

They are really helpful, give you loads of encouragement and ideas for increasing your sales and are generally sound guys. Definitely recommended.

If you want to see how the site looks then here's an example.

Another advantage to CD Baby is that they'll set you up with multiple download sites. Both my CDs are at CD Baby, and through them, you can also download my stuff from iTunes, EMusic, Rhapsody, and a lot of places I haven't even heard of.

I also set up my own account with Tradebit. So far I'm only selling MP3s through them, but they host all kinds of file types, and soon I hope to be selling PDFs of my sheet music through them. My account with them only costs $2.00US a month, and with their hosting services you can set up your own online store on your website. (Check out mine if you feel like it. Go to Swan's Wing Press and click on "CDs".)
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Another vote for CD Baby.

My wife has three CD's she sent them and it got picked up by over 30 digital distributors, including iTunes, Napster and others.

She gets an amount deposited by Paypal every month.

Digital distribution is the way of the future!!
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

After the mention of iTunes I've just checked and my CDs are also there.. As you said dubaifox, way to go

I use Zencart too. My site is primitive, but I found a free flash player and loaded some tunes into it and created a buy button that goes to my Zencart shopping page. Zencart is a little tricky to setup, but if you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, it's OK.

CDBaby is great because they do it all for you and all you have to do is link to them and they have a lot more traffic than most individual's websites.

The problem we are having is marketing ourselves, so sales are slow.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents - hope it is helpful.

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Go Back to forum