• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: Venus (Holst)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Venus (Holst)

    Hi All,

    This is a GPO rendering of 'Venus' from 'The Planets'. I was a little concerned that the level might be too low, but it seems to come through okay on headphones. Also, it's supposed to be a quiet piece, and a contrast to the 1st movement 'Mars'.

    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

    (Note: this is the updated version).

    Regards,

    Jack
    Last edited by jacksiru; 02-06-2007 at 12:21 PM. Reason: clarification

  2. #2

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Hi Jack,
    I think it sounds great. And I really appreciate you doing this. Holst is one of my favorites. I think it is very encouraging to hear a master's piece in GPO. Brings him down to Earth a little as if he was an unknown getting started with todays technology.
    Thank you...

    Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SAN ANTONIO, TX
    Posts
    1,386

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    HI Jack,
    You seem to have the notes entered nicely, but I think the following might help:
    If you use Finale or other program, turn the master volume down to about 40-50.
    Give the melody or prime notes a louder dynamic and accompanying
    notes a softer dynamic-exaggerate...
    Make sure to try different room sizes, i.e.large ensembles need
    larger areas.
    I have greatly benefited from suggestions on this site, and that is the spirit I use here.
    Gary

  4. #4
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Jack,

    Just to echo the remarks about reverb/ambience - this needs a larger space. But, the work you did was enormous! A little tweaking, and this will shine.
    There are a few (I believe) wrong notes - I don't have the score, but a few times my ear expected something else. I could mistaken, however...

    I will say one thing for this less-ambient version: one can really hear the individual instrument choices Holst made, as opposed to the wash of sound they make in aggregate. I know we are supposed to hear the whole effect, but this is actually quite instructive.

    Hope to see the new and improved version soon.

    All the best.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    I am normally quite reticent to criticize people's renderings - but this is one of my all time favorite pieces - it sounds "mechanical" - some reverb would help and also some tweaking of the attack positions and attack types would go far to making it sound much more human.
    Stephen
    Thank you for your comments, Stephen.

    I did use the Ambience preset 'Recital Hall2'. I did toy with the idea of trying some of the other more reverberant presets, but in the end I left it as is. In general, I prefer to use something that doesn't blur the details, but I'll try using more reverb.

    In regard to attack types, I assume that technically that involves the use of velocity. I must admit, I don't do much with that, except on notes that are strongly accented. In general, I don't find that the use of velocity has much effect.

    Thanks again.

    Jack

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hi Jack,
    I think it sounds great. And I really appreciate you doing this. Holst is one of my favorites. I think it is very encouraging to hear a master's piece in GPO. Brings him down to Earth a little as if he was an unknown getting started with todays technology.
    Thank you...

    Michael
    Thanks, Michael for your kind comments. I find it interesting to try to emulate colorful orchestral pieces. 'Jupiter' (from 'The Planets') was one of the first pieces I tried to sequence (using soundfonts), and it still receives more attention than any of my other postings (not necessarily a reflection on its quality).

    Regards,

    Jack

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    HI Jack,
    You seem to have the notes entered nicely, but I think the following might help:
    If you use Finale or other program, turn the master volume down to about 40-50.
    Give the melody or prime notes a louder dynamic and accompanying
    notes a softer dynamic-exaggerate...
    Make sure to try different room sizes, i.e.large ensembles need
    larger areas.
    I have greatly benefited from suggestions on this site, and that is the spirit I use here.
    Gary
    Hi Gary,

    I really appreciate your help. By the way, I have listened to some of your music and enjoyed it greatly.

    Actually, I don't use Finale. This file, as well as most of the others I've posted
    are based on MIDI files that I created as GM files using soundfonts. I used my own program to create the files. Of course, a lot of changes had to be made to adapt the file to GPO. I use Garritan Studio to set up the sounds, for the reverb, and also to record the .wav file. I use Cakewalk Express to actually play the file for recording.

    I will try a more reverberant Ambience on this piece. I'm a little baffled by your comment on the master volume - I thought, if anything, the overall level might be too low.

    Thanks again.

    Jack

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Jack,

    Just to echo the remarks about reverb/ambience - this needs a larger space. But, the work you did was enormous! A little tweaking, and this will shine.
    There are a few (I believe) wrong notes - I don't have the score, but a few times my ear expected something else. I could mistaken, however...

    I will say one thing for this less-ambient version: one can really hear the individual instrument choices Holst made, as opposed to the wash of sound they make in aggregate. I know we are supposed to hear the whole effect, but this is actually quite instructive.

    Hope to see the new and improved version soon.

    All the best.
    Thanks for your comments, Ron. There seems to be consensus on the need for more reverb. I think I know the spots where you sensed wrong notes, and I think I did check them at one time, but it wouldn't hurt to check again.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Jack

  9. #9

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Good work on getting the basics of this together,
    Jack; quite good! Many of the color flourishes that
    make this movement so gorgeous came across
    extremely well.

    With my colleagues, though; I think it could use
    more space to stretch out in. Don't be afraid to
    experiment
    , by all means; and Ambience can do
    quite a serviceable job with larger orchestral
    ensembles.

    My best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    314

    Re: Venus (Holst)

    Thanks for your comments, David.

    This is a new version in which I tried to incorporate the ambience of a large hall.

    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

    I hope it's an improvement.

    Regards,

    Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •