• Register
  • Help

Topic: Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

Share/Bookmark

Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

Hi everybody,

Im am writing a program in Borland Delphi to assign instruments in Gigastudio by pushing Organ Stop buttons of my Johannus "Rembrandt" organ (3 manuals + pedal). Communication between organ and PC is done via Midi commands.

I encountered two problems.

1) How can I read the names of the instruments which are currently loaded in Gigastudio, either bij:
    - Knowing where Gigastudio saves them in memory
    - Reading them from the Performance file saved by Gigastudio
    My preference would be the first option, this is how I did it in the previous version of my program, using a Soundblaster Audigy card. My current soundcard is a Phase 28 from Terratec.

2) How can I control stacked instruments by sending Midi commands to Gigastudio. I want to use this to facilitate pushing multiple organ stops per manual. Each manual has its own Midi channel.

Regards,
    Kees.

Re: Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

Hi Kees

What about the Intelligent Midi functions in GS? Would that be helpful in setting it up in the way you want to? (i.e. the organ stop control etc)

I am a newbie to GS but also in the process of setting it up in more or less the same way, i.e. having a three/four manual instrument with stop control.

Up to now I have just been setting it up , getting it to run stable.

The next steps are to setup the manuals/pedal to control the GS3. (I also plan to have the pedalboard touch sensitive/after touch responsive).

groete
    Lucas

Re: Access to GigaStudio Instrument names and Stacked instruments

Hi Lucas,

I found no way to use iMIDI for loading/unloading instruments. It seems only to work on an existing instrument.

For the time being I work with a fixed performance file so I can use the bank/patch information in my Delphi program. In the mean time I keep looking for the structure of the internal memory or the GSP file to extract instrument names. When I open the GSP file with Wordpad I can read the instrument names, so maybe backward engineering reveals enough of the file structure to extract names/bank/patch information. Please let me know if you find some inside information.

I cannot use the instrument stacks provided by GigaStudio. I can load/unload complete stacks using banknr #8192 but I cannot change the contents of the stack by MIDI commands. Instead I now use the same approach as in my Soundblaster Audigy program: I emulate stacking by using different ports and replicating the external MIDI channels to multiple internal channels. In my previous program I used dynamic emulation to fully use the limited space (2 ports of each 16 channels). In the case of GigaStudio I now use static emulation, by assigning 4 fixed midi channels X 8 ports to each of the 3 organ manuals and pedal. This should be enough polyphony for emulating the largest church organs. I have to send max 32 Note on/off commands for each organ keystroke but until now I did not get into latency problems.

I now have the organ running with the symphonic Budapest organ samples, which I can control from the stop buttons of my organ. It sounds excellent!

Kees.

Go Back to forum